Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Indonesia Trip: Is worth it to haul my gear???

In Tulamben,aka Amed, I dont have any spot name that I can recommend you, you have to looking for the reef, dont loose you time on the sand beach, you can rent a motorbike for 5$ per day to find some productive fishing place.

Labuan Bajo is a maritime port ,no good fishing spot directly here, you have to rent a boat to go on the islands near, more the island is inhabited and more the fishing is good.
    Labuan Bajo is a dirty place,the water is usually not clear or full of plastic bags.
    I suppose that you want go on this places for some diving, if so, check carefully you respiratory equipment before.
    Regard.

I give the same advise to everyone. I have one trip with a travel regret. That was a trip I made without a fly rod!! I have never regretted bringing one. I have carried fly rods though airports all over the place and never had a problem. Matter of fact, I even carried a fly rod on a cruise ship! Granted I have trips I did not get to use it...but the ones I had it on and got a surprise fishing trip were well worth it.
    flyfishingnwmontana.blogspot.com

3. Likes sweetandsalt liked this post

We attended a wedding on St.John some years ago and brought a brace of 8-weights. Sure enough, as I anticipated, there were some limited flats there. We even saw a handful of bonefish though we did not catch one. Still, we did better than the couple one of who's mother got totally drunk and had a wardrobe malfunction as she fell into a flower bed. That couple is now divorced.

An important take away from that trip, being an angler who loves experimenting with fly lines, was an old friend of mine in the buiz. wanted me to test a new saltwater fly line made in China. Now I've cast quite a few lines I did not care for but this one was easily far and away the worst conception of a fly line I've ever witnessed pass through a set of guides. I do believe I saved both money and the good reputation of my friend by convincing him NOT to import this product.

5. Default Re: Indonesia Trip: Is worth it to haul my gear???

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    We attended a wedding on St.John some years ago and brought a brace of 8-weights. Sure enough, as I anticipated, there were some limited flats there. We even saw a handful of bonefish though we did not catch one. Still, we did better than the couple one of who's mother got totally drunk and had a wardrobe malfunction as she fell into a flower bed. That couple is now divorced.

An important take away from that trip, being an angler who loves experimenting with fly lines, was an old friend of mine in the buiz. wanted me to test a new saltwater fly line made in China. Now I've cast quite a few lines I did not care for but this one was easily far and away the worst conception of a fly line I've ever witnessed pass through a set of guides. I do believe I saved both money and the good reputation of my friend by convincing him NOT to import this product.
    What line was that?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dirabalo View Post
    What line was that?

Luckily, it neve made it commercially to our shores. The Chinese are still attempting to make and market fly lines here at low cost though...steer clear.

7. Default Re: Indonesia Trip: Is worth it to haul my gear???

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    Luckily, it neve made it commercially to our shores. The Chinese are still attempting to make and market fly lines here at low cost though...steer clear.
    Let us not utter the dark Lord's name here

8. Default Re: Indonesia Trip: Is worth it to haul my gear???

Quote Originally Posted by mtboiler View Post
    I give the same advise to everyone. I have one trip with a travel regret. That was a trip I made without a fly rod!! I have never regretted bringing one. I have carried fly rods though airports all over the place and never had a problem. Matter of fact, I even carried a fly rod on a cruise ship! Granted I have trips I did not get to use it...but the ones I had it on and got a surprise fishing trip were well worth it.
    I have the same sentiment. I recently traveles to Alaska and did not bring any of my fly gear with me, the camera gear took precedent. Sorta regret that.

I spent eight weeks fly fishing in Indonesia a few years back. The best fishing I encountered was about 30 miles offshore of Ujung Kulon (far west end of Java) where we got into some skipjack that were finally willing to eat bonefish flies that I trimmed all the material off of - basically a bare hook with eyes on it. The flats fishing was very disappointing and based on what I saw in the markets it is likely due to having the fourth largest population on earth, -and they are hungry. I saw fishing boats come ashore in Lombok with fish as small as 1". Sure, there was the occasional diamond trevally (essentially a first cousin to African Pompano in the SE USA) but other than tossing poppers via spinning rod at GT's off Komodo, I largely regretted taking what amounted to a fly shop worth of gear over there for two months. While I had rods from 8-15wt, travel vice, tying materials, etc. along for the trip, I'd have been completely fine with a single 7wt rod and a small box of small flies.

Some of the flats down east toward Kei Kecil in Maluku looked promising, but they seem sterile...

I hope your fly fishing in Indo is better than mine was. Were I to fish there again, I'd probably opt for vertical jigging AJ's off the east coast of Bali and leave the fly rods at home.

The more I fish overseas, the better I realize we have it in our hemisphere here (with the exception of Seychelles, everyone should give that place a whirl at least once).

Blog Entries

I'm told a lot of the reefs and flats are normally fished by the locals with dynamite flies. Worth considering, but don't pack them in your carry on ... (or even the checked luggage.)

Some very heavy shock tippet might be worth considering too ....

Cheers,
    Graeme
    IFFF Certified Casting Instructor

(Formerly known as Kalgrm)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123