Bocas Del Toro, Panama

ken3591

Reaction score
Hi, I'm going to be working in Panama near Bocas Del Toro for a year and from research it seems that there is very good sea fishing for tarpon, permit, bonefish, snook etc. I have no previous saltwater fishing experience but would love to give this a go while i'm there. Does anyone have any experience of the area? Also, i'm planning to buy some gear to take with me, would an 8wt be appropriate or is that not heavy enough?

Any knowledge you can pass on would be really appreciated!

brokeoff

Reaction score
Sounds like an awesome gig. I don’t have experience there but spend most of my time casting flies with lead dumbbells. I find for heavy permit flies and clousers a 9 will work but 10 feels best. Also, there is the everpresent wind. Also, I would imagine a 10 wt is where you want to start for tarpon.

I would look up tarponville in Costa Rica and see what they recommend. That fishery is a few miles north.

Gerard

Reaction score
I have fished there. No sign of Permit. Rumored bonefish on some flats....plenty of big Tarpon, but you have to motor (boat) up towards Costa Rica which is where most of them are.