Naples FL fly fishing guide service?

ra2bach

Reaction score
I'm headed to Naples at the end of January and wondered if anyone has recommendations for fly fishing guide service.

I've never fished salt before so I'd need gear as well as some guidance...

driftless22

Reaction score
The area affected by red tide extended from Tampa down to Naples. The coastline south of Naples was not affected. The red tide caused significant fish kills, but I don't know whether gamefish populations were significantly reduced, since I normally fish south of Naples in the Everglades City/Chokoloskee area. I'll send a PM regarding guide recommendations.

brownbass

Reaction score
I don't know. what effect will that have? (I'm really dumb about salt fishing...)
I am not sure. I just read an article about affected seabirds on Marco Island south of Naples. I fished the area in the Everglades out of Goodland years ago. It saddens me that the Gulf region has been hit with this Red Tide.

Bill

ra2bach

Reaction score
I am not sure. I just read an article about affected seabirds on Marco Island south of Naples. I fished the area in the Everglades out of Goodland years ago. It saddens me that the Gulf region has been hit with this Red Tide.

Bill
yeah, I had no idea until you mentioned it but now I'm concerned. what is the effect on the amount/size of fish available?

I don't want to spend money for a boat ride and casting practice...

brownbass

Reaction score
yeah, I had no idea until you mentioned it but now I'm concerned. what is the effect on the amount/size of fish available?

I don't want to spend money for a boat ride and casting practice...
I would ask around on this and other forums, maybe Facebook and contact the Florida Conservation Commision. I don't have any contacts down there anymore so I can't clue you into any dependable sources. I understand that people down there look forward to and depend on the tourist dollars but they should stand up and demand there state government take responsibility for the disaster that the Red Tide has caused on that coast.

Bill

ra2bach

Reaction score
thanks. yeah, I'd love to charter a day fishing down there but I haven't been able to find ANY info simply by googling. And I haven't called any of the guides and asked them directly because I'm not sure what kind of answer I would get.

I mean, I wouldn't blame a guide for doing everything they can to keep their bills paid but if I want them to be honest, I have to be honest too and tell them I'm not an experienced trophy salt fisherman. who knows what type of day I'll have under those conditions. I'll try Facebook...

thanks,

Ray

J

joe_strummer

if I want them to be honest, I have to be honest too and tell them I'm not an experienced trophy salt fisherman. who knows what type of day I'll have under those conditions.
I'd guess the easy majority of their clients down there are not experienced saltwater fly anglers. Many of the fly fishing guides down there guide light tackle and fly trips. The ones that mention they'll net some bait before the trip for backup, I tell them don't bother, that we'll go fishless before we use bait -- but they sometimes do it anyway, which suggests to me they have a lot of trips "saved" by bait. I'm a little bit of an almost semi-experienced saltwater fly fisherman and I go down there and blow great setups and sometimes go fishless. I've watched friends struggle through their first saltwater days. Getting humbled IS a valid and true saltwater fly fishing experience imo.

I happen to have fished with Greg McKee out of Matlacha and would book him again. He seemed to know his water well, and put us on fish (reds and trout, no snook that day) on an early November trip a few years back. I've been out with a few other captains in SW FLA. But I don't have anyone I book every time, as I do in Islamorada.

ra2bach

Reaction score
I'd guess the easy majority of their clients down there are not experienced saltwater fly anglers. Many of the fly fishing guides down there guide light tackle and fly trips. The ones that mention they'll net some bait before the trip for backup, I tell them don't bother, that we'll go fishless before we use bait -- but they sometimes do it anyway, which suggests to me they have a lot of trips "saved" by bait. I'm a little bit of an almost semi-experienced saltwater fly fisherman and I go down there and blow great setups and sometimes go fishless. I've watched friends struggle through their first saltwater days. Getting humbled IS a valid and true saltwater fly fishing experience imo.

I happen to have fished with Greg McKee out of Matlacha and would book him again. He seemed to know his water well, and put us on fish (reds and trout, no snook that day) on an early November trip a few years back. I've been out with a few other captains in SW FLA. But I don't have anyone I book every time, as I do in Islamorada.
what's available to catch at the end of January and where would we be looking for that?..

ifitswims

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
well that's good to know. are there any fish left?..
Plenty of fish. If catching is your primary goal then don't be to proud to soak a shrimp. If learning to hook fish in the salt with a fly rod is the primary goal it is a bit of a curve that can be best enabled by a good guide. Guides down there know the movement patterns of the fish and where and when they might be during the periods of varying tide levels and water temperatures. Be there when it happens with Salt fish.

You can expect to go after Snook, Redfish, Spanish Mackerel, Speckled Trout and an assortment of other keen fish such as Mangrove Snapper. Sail cats, puffers and other various by-catch fish are sometimes willing to give a tug as well.

If you are just wanting to get out and toss a fly without a guide then you can go to any of the beaches from Naples to Sanibel at first light and look for shallow cruising Snook. There are many canals south of Naples that provide fun fishing as well...watch out for Bertha. Use a light colored Clouser.

gator1954

Reaction score
I just got back from spending 10 days fishing in the Naples area. Fishing was so bad I'm going back for the whole month of March. Send me a PM if you need a excellent guide that is also a good teacher.