Equipment Advice Requested!

bacmb

Reaction score
Hi! I'm a novice fly fisherman, having fished a dozen times in the mountains for trout. We live on the Georgia coast, in Savannah. I'd like to try (since I have access year round) salt water fly fishing, especially redfish. I know I need different equipment for this. I'm open to other suggestions, but have narrowed my search down to two options.

1. Used Fin-Nor No 2 8/9 reel, with Scientific Anglers WF9F line and backing, Redinton Rod, and a dozen salt flies, can get for around $300.
2. New Piscifun Platte 9/10 reel with Redington 2 pc 9 wt rod. I'd have to add backing and line to this, but the rod and reel would run about $280 or so with a discount code at piscifun.

The classic Fin-Nor looks cool, seems extremely well made, but is older and I'm guessing doesn't have some of the newer features or technology of the Piscifun.

Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks,

Chuck

karstopo

Reaction score
I think the Fin-Nor reels were top rate, really top quality. I’d go with that option. That reel will do anything you might need it to do. It might be heavier than the newer reel, but that’s not such a bad thing. Fin-Nor reels are supposed to have excellent drag systems.

jr spey

Reaction score
It depends upon which Fin Nor #2 we're talking about. I can think of at least eight reels called Fin Nor that were a Model #2. Most were quite heavy, perhaps too much so for today's modern rods. A few of them are just not good reels, especially some of the latter ones that were made in Asia. None are particularly recent. Can you put up a photo of the reel you're thinking about buying? That will help us help you.

jr spey

Reaction score
I agree. That's fifth generation Fin Nor and they carved the weight down to 8.25oz. Yes, it was made in the US. The price in my 1994 catalog was $415.00. Just beware that it is anti-reverse which, if you haven't used one before, takes some getting used to. Though not a large arbor in any way, they narrowed the spool and made the frame larger in diameter to create a better retrieve ratio.

bacmb

Reaction score
I'm willing to learn, but can you expand on how the anti-reverse works and how that changes using it?

Thanks!

bigjim5589

Reaction score
For Redfish you don't need a reel like that Fin Nor, but if you can grab that package for that price, you'll have a solid outfit. For the coastal fishing a lot of folks use 8 wt's. some go slightly lighter to a 7 wt and some heavier. Much of that is personal preference and what they may also use the outfit to target. IMO, just getting started it's best to err on the heavier side when starting out with saltwater fishing. It's not the same as mountain stream fishing for trout.
;)

flytie09

Reaction score
For an Anti-Reverse reel...the handle does not spin backwards when line is pulled out. This is an anti-knuckle buster design that was developed for large hot running saltwater species like Tarpon, Tuna, Billfish, etc.

I believe Seamaster developed the first in the late 1960s. Fin Nor quickly followed and Ted Juracsik in 1975 later "perfected" with the 'Billy Pate' aptly designed with and named for the man himself. The success of the Billy Pate AR reel would later propel Ted into the start up of the Tibor reel company.

Back in the days....if you fly fished serious saltwater species.....you had one of these 3 reels. Now we have large arbor DD reels with sealed drags, corrosion resitant materials and such that are a little more maintenance free lets say. DD fly reels for salt are the new standard.

As jr spey says...using one takes some getting used to. They're not for everyone. But if you're adventurous and like a new challenge.....give it a shot. It is after all, only a line holder. :bolt:

An AR reel might be a little overkill for Redfish...but they look cool and the Fin-Nor reels like I've said before are tough as heck.

You're getting a decent deal depending on the model and quality of the Redington rod you're getting of course.

Some cool historical reference to these fine reels:

Seamaster - SEAMASTER Reels - Miami. Fl. - Antique Fishing Reels

Fin-Nor - The Classic Fly Rod Forum • Fin Nor Fin-ite Reel

Ted Juracsik and Tibor - The Man Who Changed Fly Fishing Forever – Garden & Gun

A side note.....this is an amazing interview of Ted by April Vokey for her 'Anchored' Podcast. He is an amazing and talented man. If his story doesn't bring a tear to your eye and a smile to your face...you're not human.

Ted Juracsik - Tibor Reels – Anchored with April Vokey Podcast – Podcast – Podtail

I appologize for getting off topic.

wjc

Reaction score
A side note.....this is an amazing interview of Ted by April Vokey for her 'Anchored' Podcast. He is an amazing and talented man. If his story doesn't bring a tear to your eye and a smile to your face...you're not human.

Ted Juracsik - Tibor Reels – Anchored with April Vokey Podcast – Podcast – Podtail

I appologize for getting off topic.
Don't you dare apologize! The "Tibor Juracsik" story should have 1000 likes and be a sticky on every forum topic on this site. Fortunately, I ran across it by accident. I don' t even know how to do "likes" preferring to direct them personally to the posters with replies. But I will find out how right now. Were it not for a Hungarian refugee who escaped Hungary during the revolution of '56-'57, I would not be in business today.

Both their stories are all the more poignant to those who know, as my father did (and who told me of it decades ago), of how the "Voice of America" urged the Hungarians to revolt and promised them help and aid, but dropped them candy bars instead of the guns, equipment and help they were promised.

My friend never once mentioned that little historical fact, and neither did Mr. Juracsik.

Thank you Flytie for a great link.

cb3fish

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
JR,

Your right on, That reel was very heavy, had a real small cork drag, real small arbor and it was anti-reverse. Anti reverse reels own less then 1% of the market place and actually less then 1/2 of that. I believe they made one real called the "wedding cake" which was a decent reel. My 2 cents-CB