Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  16
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia

Default Re: line of choice for flats bones in Abaco

Rio's current iteration of their classic Bonefish line is the DirectCore Bonefish line.It's so good I have it in 6,7 and 8wts....Pair it with their Knotless Tapered Leaders in 12 and 16lb.tippet (presuming you are using #4,6 and 8 Flies) and you're really set.You can add tippet if you need to go out further...

2. Likes s fontinalis liked this post

Thanks for everyone for all the great advice, i'll be sure to try a lot of lines. Great advice on the flies too!

For those that have DIY'd, any recommendations for spots or locales to try independently after I've fished with a guide early. I have a tentative guide booking pending some particulars.
    Eunan

I generally lean towards SA lines because Rio lines seem to degrade too quickly for me--they're awesome out of the box, but after a few trips (even with cleaning) they aren't anywhere near as good. However, I took both the Amplitude Bonefish and Amplitude Grand Slam to Aruba in December, and the texture on them tore up my hands pretty badly. For Aruba, where it's always blowing 20+ and was blowing 25-30 most of my trip, the Bonefish in an 8 was a little light for the large flies that I was fishing. The Grand Slam in a 9 was a much better option. But Abaco is very different from Aruba, so the Amplitude Smooth Bonefish might be worth a try.
    Check out my fishing, dog, and meat pictures on my Instagram account - @willyfranzen

5. Likes s fontinalis liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
    For those that have DIY'd, any recommendations for spots or locales to try independently after I've fished with a guide early. I have a tentative guide booking pending some particulars.
    Cherokee Sound. This can be accessed either from Cherokee, or from Casuarina Point. It's huge area with dozens of specific spots that are all productive on different tides. Duck Cay, along the western side, is really good but you'd be doing some swimming to get there if you don't have a boat (but that can be done). Duck Cay is easier to access from the Casuarina Point area but with a small boat you can get there from anywhere.

The last two hours of the outgoing tide is ideal if you are new to that area. Once you get the hang of it, any tide can work in the right spot up in the mangroves. I'm not sure if this will attach but here's the mangroves even at low tide: mark on Instagram: “Pick just one. And hurry up. . . . #choices #options #bonefish #saltwaterflyfishing #bonefishing #hurry #flycasting #flatsfishing…”

7. Likes s fontinalis liked this post

Cherokee or Casuarina Point would be my suggestion also.

If you go to Cherokee you can always stop at Pete’s Pub, in Little Harbour, on the way out back to the main road. Decent food and cold beer, no shoes required.

9. Likes s fontinalis liked this post
  10. Default Re: line of choice for flats bones in Abaco

If you have never bonefished before you are likely to be disappointed trying to find and see fish without a guide. I'm sorry if that sounds negative, but I think you will find the same advice in Dick Brown (it is in my dated edition).

As a first timer your money is better spent on guides than $100 lines.

11. Thanks hatidua thanked for this post
    Likes willyf liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by original cormorant View Post
    If you have never bonefished before you are likely to be disappointed trying to find and see fish without a guide. I'm sorry if that sounds negative, but I think you will find the same advice in Dick Brown (it is in my dated edition).

In certain Belizean destinations, such as Little Water Caye, I might disagree, but in the real world, this is spot-on advice.
    Last edited by hatidua; 02-08-2019 at 03:19 PM.

13. Likes s fontinalis liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by hatidua View Post
    Cherokee Sound. This can be accessed either from Cherokee, or from Casuarina Point. It's huge area with dozens of specific spots that are all productive on different tides. Duck Cay, along the western side, is really good but you'd be doing some swimming to get there if you don't have a boat (but that can be done). Duck Cay is easier to access from the Casuarina Point area but with a small boat you can get there from anywhere.

The last two hours of the outgoing tide is ideal if you are new to that area. Once you get the hang of it, any tide can work in the right spot up in the mangroves. I'm not sure if this will attach but here's the mangroves even at low tide: mark on Instagram: “Pick just one. And hurry up. . . . #choices #options #bonefish #saltwaterflyfishing #bonefishing #hurry #flycasting #flatsfishing…”

Smashing photos - if i still had social media account I'd be following your page. thanks also for the suggestions.
    Eunan

Quote Originally Posted by original cormorant View Post

I booked a guide today.
    Eunan

Nobody has said it, but a 7wt is on the light side for Abaco. 20mph wind is common- I generally being a 7,8 and 9wt- and the 9 gets more use than the 7~ you can also chase Cudas and smaller sharks with the 9--

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

17. Likes sweetandsalt liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12