line of choice for flats bones in Abaco

Reaction score
I just purchased a rod and reel for fly fishing in Bahamas, but the number of line choices out there is crazy. Its the same for rods and reels, but went with budget friendly Redington Predator 7wt and Behemoth reel. I went with 7wt, because i have too many 8s (softer/longer/older than the predator) which cover all my other 8wt needs.

I've never fished the salt before, let alone Bahamas, but with a fly fishing show coming up before my trip i'd like to test cast some lines before i make a purchase.

what are the top three lines you'd recommend i cast for this trip?

Thanks in advance

Eunan

bonefish41

Reaction score
E: Your quest is "how high is up"...a plethora ... Whatever line casts the best for you and the rod ... I would look for close outs in RIO, SIC Angler in their salt speced 7wt line and check their respective grain weights for first thirty feet...definitely take your geriatric 8s with tropic line...your 7wt Red/Pred will land any Bonefish that you get the fly to...and it bites. What's difficult about start up/new to salt bonefish is getting the fly to the fish and indoor windless test ain't the best test for flats unless the flat mimics the indoor windless situation..it's possible in the summer June July August but always be prepared for and practice in the wind...plus 10 kts 360 degrees. For me my wind line is a short head 25-30 feet at high grain weight spec or plus .5 or 1...so that when on the casting deck of the skiff I have 15 feet of the line out the tip a roll cast forward shoot about 5 back cast another 5 now I've got the rod loaded and punch into the wind ... I am not good enough to use a long belly speced line in wind to load the rod... for wind under 10, I looked at Sierra Trading Post site they have 7wt Sci Anglers Mastery Expert Distance for 25 bucks close-out. Fish present themselves from all directions and even the most skilled guide cannot give you optimal positioning for the cast and remember "never cast through the boat" in a wind condition unless the guide specifically says to do it...now wading that's obviously different no one to hook but yourself when you don't adjust for the wind off your casting shoulder. The majors make good lines the variables are taper and grain weight for the first thirty feet...most now state the grain weights so one can compare apples to apples...my recollection is that RIO was the first to do so

Reaction score
Thanks! I appreciate the insight - i guess i could buy another spool a for the reel and pick up two lines on clearnace....not a bad idea actually!

Eunan

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
First may I encourage you to scroll down to Saltwater Articles where you will find an extensive and updated thread on New Lines for the Flats. Though I don't know your Redington rod's preferences, my current favorite overall flats line is easily RIO's Direct Core Bonefish (.4 heavy), a great line. Where are you going in Abaco?

Reaction score
First may I encourage you to scroll down to Saltwater Articles where you will find an extensive and updated thread on New Lines for the Flats. Though I don't know your Redington rod's preferences, my current favorite overall flats line is easily RIO's Direct Core Bonefish (.4 heavy), a great line. Where are you going in Abaco?
Thanks, I'll take a look at the thread.

I'm staying in Treasure Cay. We're gonna hire a boat to cruise around for a few days, and i'll try my luck. Might see if i can get a guide later in the week i'm there if i've no success on my own. I've done a fair bit of reading, including "fly Fishing for Bonefish" - Dick Brown.

Just need to get out for some casting practice on the windy days here.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I recommend you try to arrange for a reputable independent guide early in your stay so he can point you in the best directions. Abaco is a relatively big island, I've been there twice and still know next to nothing.

Reaction score
I recommend you try to arrange for a reputable independent guide early in your stay so he can point you in the best directions. Abaco is a relatively big island, I've been there twice and still know next to nothing.
OK. Thanks, i'll definitely do that then too.

I appreciate the insight.

E

bonefish41

Reaction score
My rationale for cheap/inexpensive/closeout is...don't make the 100 mistake...it's you...should add at the show with the casting pond take your rod and try various 7wt lines at least it's a start...is this a spring break trip and you are the chaperone?

flyminded

Reaction score
I’ve diy’d Abaco 4 times.

If it’s your first time in the salt I’d highly recommend trying to get Buddy Pinder to guide you in The Marls. Lots of fish to practice on and Buddy is one of, if not, the best guides on the island. The Marls are only accessible by boat.

A reasonable number of accessible diy wade flats throughout the island, but the fish on them are smarter, naturally because they are accessible, and you’ll need to bring your A game for them.

I

ikankecil

I've spent a week each year fishing Abaco for the last 19 years. Unlike Belize or Mexico, Abaco bones actually have a brain. Err on the side of smaller flies, I was tossing #8's last spring as the larger flies were simply not getting the desired effect. Also, bonefish in some places will readily take a fly stripped at a 45* angle across it's path whereas a nearly head-on retrieve is far more successful with the smarter fish.

Take a few flies with weed guards, the eel grass areas are often very productive at low tide. Approach those fish very slowly, for every one of them with their tail in the air, there are a dozen that are underwater between you and that tail.

As to fly lines, I'm a fan of Rio's bonefish lines but I realize there are plenty of other options. Pick one that balances well with your rig.

Learn to cast a long leader if you aren't already comfortable with that. On an outgoing tide with minimal wind and fish in 8" of water easing out with the tide I'm usually using at least a 15' leader tapered down to 9# fluorocarbon and the tippet section is at least 4' long. Sharks aren't really a problem unless you scoot across to Moores Island where stronger tippet is occasionally needed to get the fish in before the sharks take off their engine.

Permit are not as plentiful as bonefish but the ones I've encountered there are not the little Belizean runts: there are some honest adult-size permit around Abaco.

Have fun!

dynaflow

Reaction score
Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia
Rio's current iteration of their classic Bonefish line is the DirectCore Bonefish line.It's so good I have it in 6,7 and 8wts....Pair it with their Knotless Tapered Leaders in 12 and 16lb.tippet (presuming you are using #4,6 and 8 Flies) and you're really set.You can add tippet if you need to go out further...

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone for all the great advice, i'll be sure to try a lot of lines. Great advice on the flies too!

For those that have DIY'd, any recommendations for spots or locales to try independently after I've fished with a guide early. I have a tentative guide booking pending some particulars.

willyf

Reaction score
I generally lean towards SA lines because Rio lines seem to degrade too quickly for me--they're awesome out of the box, but after a few trips (even with cleaning) they aren't anywhere near as good. However, I took both the Amplitude Bonefish and Amplitude Grand Slam to Aruba in December, and the texture on them tore up my hands pretty badly. For Aruba, where it's always blowing 20+ and was blowing 25-30 most of my trip, the Bonefish in an 8 was a little light for the large flies that I was fishing. The Grand Slam in a 9 was a much better option. But Abaco is very different from Aruba, so the Amplitude Smooth Bonefish might be worth a try.

I

ikankecil

For those that have DIY'd, any recommendations for spots or locales to try independently after I've fished with a guide early. I have a tentative guide booking pending some particulars.
Cherokee Sound. This can be accessed either from Cherokee, or from Casuarina Point. It's huge area with dozens of specific spots that are all productive on different tides. Duck Cay, along the western side, is really good but you'd be doing some swimming to get there if you don't have a boat (but that can be done). Duck Cay is easier to access from the Casuarina Point area but with a small boat you can get there from anywhere.

The last two hours of the outgoing tide is ideal if you are new to that area. Once you get the hang of it, any tide can work in the right spot up in the mangroves. I'm not sure if this will attach but here's the mangroves even at low tide: mark on Instagram: “Pick just one. And hurry up. . . . #choices #options #bonefish #saltwaterflyfishing #bonefishing #hurry #flycasting #flatsfishing…”

flyminded

Reaction score
Cherokee or Casuarina Point would be my suggestion also.

If you go to Cherokee you can always stop at Pete’s Pub, in Little Harbour, on the way out back to the main road. Decent food and cold beer, no shoes required.

original cormorant

Reaction score
If you have never bonefished before you are likely to be disappointed trying to find and see fish without a guide. I'm sorry if that sounds negative, but I think you will find the same advice in Dick Brown (it is in my dated edition).

As a first timer your money is better spent on guides than $100 lines.

I

ikankecil

If you have never bonefished before you are likely to be disappointed trying to find and see fish without a guide. I'm sorry if that sounds negative, but I think you will find the same advice in Dick Brown (it is in my dated edition).

In certain Belizean destinations, such as Little Water Caye, I might disagree, but in the real world, this is spot-on advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Cherokee Sound. This can be accessed either from Cherokee, or from Casuarina Point. It's huge area with dozens of specific spots that are all productive on different tides. Duck Cay, along the western side, is really good but you'd be doing some swimming to get there if you don't have a boat (but that can be done). Duck Cay is easier to access from the Casuarina Point area but with a small boat you can get there from anywhere.

The last two hours of the outgoing tide is ideal if you are new to that area. Once you get the hang of it, any tide can work in the right spot up in the mangroves. I'm not sure if this will attach but here's the mangroves even at low tide: mark on Instagram: “Pick just one. And hurry up. . . . #choices #options #bonefish #saltwaterflyfishing #bonefishing #hurry #flycasting #flatsfishing…”

Smashing photos - if i still had social media account I'd be following your page. thanks also for the suggestions.

Reaction score

I booked a guide today.

osseous

Reaction score
Nobody has said it, but a 7wt is on the light side for Abaco. 20mph wind is common- I generally being a 7,8 and 9wt- and the 9 gets more use than the 7~ you can also chase Cudas and smaller sharks with the 9--

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk