Fenwick HMXF 909-2

jc10

Reaction score
I'm a newbie just starting to purchase equipment and looking at a Fenwick HMXF 909-2. Would appreciate thoughts / experience anyone has to offer about this rod. Thanks.

tcorfey

Reaction score
Looking at the Fenwick site the HMX series is a spinning or casting rod, are you sure it is not an HMG which is a Fenwick fly rod.

jc10

Reaction score
Wow, people on this site are awesome! Thanks very much for taking the time to be so helpful. Having said that, and since you know SO much more than me, could you be so kind to suggest a reel or two that are not too pricey and will be a good match for this rod. Thanks in advance.

original cormorant

Reaction score
I know nothing about Fenwick rods or the sort of fishing you plan to do, but conventionally 909-2 is a 9ft #9 2 piece rod. If you are planning to travel you ought to be looking at 4 piece rods.

jc10

Reaction score
The rod comes with a hard case, covered with handsome brown cloth. It's the type that includes a space for the reel. I think I'd be in good shape when it comes to traveling, thanks.

jayr

Reaction score
When it comes to recommending a fly rod, it really helps to know the area(s) you intend to fish, the type of fish you plan on going after, etc.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
The OP, Mr jc10, is from Rhode Island. "The Ocean State"
The rod that he's looking at is a 9', 9wt. The standard size for northeast saltwater.
There's a pretty good chance that he's looking for a rod suitable for striped bass and bluefish.

Most residents of "little Rhody" live within minutes of the saltwater shore, especially in the Newport area, East Bay, and South County.
A travel rod isn't all that necessary

As for the reel, I'm the wrong person to ask. I still use the same reels that I've used since the '90's
But you don't need something fancy, just reliable.
Once you get a good handle on what you're doing, you're going to be going into your backing regularly, so your reel is definitely not just a line holder.
You're looking for good solid construction above anything else, but you don't need to break the bank.

Here's a little primer on what it takes to get it done.

https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/...hing-surf.html?highlight=northeast+salt+water

gpwhitejr

Reaction score
Where in RI are you? I grew up in Cranston, and we still get down to RI for at least a week every summer; we do a family vacation in Narragansett. I use a variety of rods including my vintage 9 ft 9 wt Wonderod, with an old Medalist reel. I also use a Redington Behemoth, which is a great reel for the money.

jc10

Reaction score
First, sorry for the gap in replying.Had an urgent personal matter pull me away for a little bit. As far as use, etc. Rip Tide is right on the money. Want to experience stripers and blues on a fly rod and, if lucky, albies too!