Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Default Fenwick HMXF 909-2

I'm a newbie just starting to purchase equipment and looking at a Fenwick HMXF 909-2. Would appreciate thoughts / experience anyone has to offer about this rod. Thanks.

Default Re: Fenwick HMXF 909-2

Looking at the Fenwick site the HMX series is a spinning or casting rod, are you sure it is not an HMG which is a Fenwick fly rod.

The "F" in HMXF stands for "fly"

Fenwick HMX / HMXF Fly Rod 8 wt - Product Review - 908-2

Without ever seeing one, I'd say that would be a very good rod for starting out in the Rhode Island salt
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Wow, people on this site are awesome! Thanks very much for taking the time to be so helpful. Having said that, and since you know SO much more than me, could you be so kind to suggest a reel or two that are not too pricey and will be a good match for this rod. Thanks in advance.

5. Default Re: Fenwick HMXF 909-2

I know nothing about Fenwick rods or the sort of fishing you plan to do, but conventionally 909-2 is a 9ft #9 2 piece rod. If you are planning to travel you ought to be looking at 4 piece rods.

The rod comes with a hard case, covered with handsome brown cloth. It's the type that includes a space for the reel. I think I'd be in good shape when it comes to traveling, thanks.

When it comes to recommending a fly rod, it really helps to know the area(s) you intend to fish, the type of fish you plan on going after, etc.
    Mainline the blueline

The OP, Mr jc10, is from Rhode Island. "The Ocean State"
    The rod that he's looking at is a 9', 9wt. The standard size for northeast saltwater.
    There's a pretty good chance that he's looking for a rod suitable for striped bass and bluefish.

Most residents of "little Rhody" live within minutes of the saltwater shore, especially in the Newport area, East Bay, and South County.
    A travel rod isn't all that necessary

As for the reel, I'm the wrong person to ask. I still use the same reels that I've used since the '90's
    But you don't need something fancy, just reliable.
    Once you get a good handle on what you're doing, you're going to be going into your backing regularly, so your reel is definitely not just a line holder.
    You're looking for good solid construction above anything else, but you don't need to break the bank.

Here's a little primer on what it takes to get it done.

Gear for fly fishing the surf
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Where in RI are you? I grew up in Cranston, and we still get down to RI for at least a week every summer; we do a family vacation in Narragansett. I use a variety of rods including my vintage 9 ft 9 wt Wonderod, with an old Medalist reel. I also use a Redington Behemoth, which is a great reel for the money.

10. Likes Rip Tide liked this post

First, sorry for the gap in replying.Had an urgent personal matter pull me away for a little bit. As far as use, etc. Rip Tide is right on the money. Want to experience stripers and blues on a fly rod and, if lucky, albies too!

12. Likes Rip Tide liked this post