Favorite fly rod for tarpon?

cb3fish

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Hey guys, For the guys who actually fly fish for Tarpon what is your favorite rod and what weight?

Thanks in advance

CB

steveid

Reaction score
Edited for clarification:

I don't have a ton of time with different makes of tarpon rods. I currently own Sage Salt HD in 10 and 12 weights. Like them both, just wish I got to fish them more frequently.

If you made me select another large tarpon rod out of the Salt HD family, I would consider a Sage X in 11 weight based on reviews by John Duncan of Telluride Angler.

Last edited:

cb3fish

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Steve,

Actually I am very well versed in salt water fishing - I even got a grand slam on my first try 20 years ago.

I posted the question of what rods you guys use and like, to try and get some rod talk going. I also have the Sage HD in 12 wt, however I prefer the Loomis NRX 12 wts over the Sage Hd seems the Sage is really tip heavy....I mostly fish in Mexico now where I can catch one big fish after another-CB

Last edited:

seattlesetters

Reaction score
The 1190 Sage X is the best tarpon rod I’ve ever used. Light and easy to cast and a superb fish-fighting tool.

clsmith131

Reaction score
My only experience has been with a 12 wt solar, which has worked well, but I'm going to take my 10 wt proaxis 1 pc with me in June. I hope it's still a one pc when I return...

driftless22

Reaction score
I'll second the vote for the Sage X 11 wt. As mentioned above, it feels surprisingly light in hand, generates excellent line speed without a great deal of effort, and has sufficient lifting power. Definitely more user friendly than some of the other 11 wt rods that I've used.

dylar

Reaction score
Sage Salt and Salt HD suck donkey you know what, in my opinion. Broomsticks. No finesse, and tarpon are a finesse fish, presentation wise. Now the old XI3, that rod is money.

wjc

Reaction score
Xi3, old? That's my newest rod.

And it's way too tip soft and way too weak in the butt section for big tarpon in my opinion.

I bought two of them for my daughter, an 11 wt and a 12 wt. I tried both out and snapped off the butt section of the 11 on a fish, way before I thought it should have snapped. I fished the 12 as well and the tip is way to soft to pick a long cast off the water for a re-cast.

To design a rod for big fish with the butt section way smaller than the second section makes no sense to me whatsoever.

I'll take a two piece rod with the butt being the strongest over a 4 piece any day for big fish.

steveid

Reaction score
Sage Salt and Salt HD suck donkey you know what, in my opinion. Broomsticks. No finesse, and tarpon are a finesse fish, presentation wise. Now the old XI3, that rod is money.
I haven’t cast a ton of 11-12 weight rods. But, of everything I have cast, I like the Salt HD the best. I feel like it casts a good loop, and excels in fish fighting. I was amazed at the lifting it could do on an adult tarpon.

If I could, I would own a one piece rod. The NRX 12 that Carl mentioned would be a good one, and IIRC it’s offered in a one piece version.

I suppose presentation still matters for tarpon, but not at the level it does for Permit or Bonefish, IMO. I’ve seen plenty of videos of tarpon taking a fly that crashed into the water.

I hope to spend more time with the big 11-12 weights in my hands. It’s a different world, and a different set of needs, than our typical western trout waters that got me started in this game.

cb3fish

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Xi3, old? That's my newest rod.

And it's way too tip soft and way too weak in the butt section for big tarpon in my opinion.

I bought two of them for my daughter, an 11 wt and a 12 wt. I tried both out and snapped off the butt section of the 11 on a fish, way before I thought it should have snapped. I fished the 12 as well and the tip is way to soft to pick a long cast off the water for a re-cast.

To design a rod for big fish with the butt section way smaller than the second section makes no sense to me whatsoever.

I'll take a two piece rod with the butt being the strongest over a 4 piece any day for big fish.
Jim,

If you like the Sage x13, I think you will LOVE the Loomis NRX, I understand that each person has their own Casting stroke and prefer a little bit different taper. I used to have 3 Sage xi3 rods in my boat in Mexico, however after I cast the NRX I like them a lot more, they cast very similar but it seemed to me that the NRX just out did everything the Sage did, again that was my opinion and we all know what opinions are worth? anyway that's my 2 cents. CB

cb3fish

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I haven’t cast a ton of 11-12 weight rods. But, of everything I have cast, I like the Salt HD the best. I feel like it casts a good loop, and excels in fish fighting. I was amazed at the lifting it could do on an adult tarpon.

If I could, I would own a one piece rod. The NRX 12 that Carl mentioned would be a good one, and IIRC it’s offered in a one piece version.

I suppose presentation still matters for tarpon, but not at the level it does for Permit or Bonefish, IMO. I’ve seen plenty of videos of tarpon taking a fly that crashed into the water.

I hope to spend more time with the big 11-12 weights in my hands. It’s a different world, and a different set of needs, than our typical western trout waters that got me started in this game.
When I was in the flats boat my guide had a one piece Loomis Tarpon rod, I used to play around with it and my Opinion was it wasn't all that. It did cast nice, however again it wasn't that great and for all the time and trouble it would take to have one, my vote was "no way" For a guide to have one that lived in the boat I could see that, but not a fisherman who had to fly around the USA to fish. MY 2 cents -CB

bonefish41

Reaction score
My first fly Tarpon was on an 11wt two piece RPLX, my second was on a Winston XTR 12wt with 13 weight line all off Long Key. Thereafter, last 25 years, environs Key West east and west...12wt RPLX three piece...finally settled on Method 11wt...in between guide's 12wt one piece Loomis...all sight fishing flats... no blind casting...no channels...I don't have a favorite rod...it's the Tarpon that I favor. And after the first two on the fly brought to hand...I decided to hook and jump then let them go...get another. Prior to the fly it was dead mullet or live catfish south of Goodland FLA in dirty water sometimes Gordan Pass Naples...also Hammers and Tigers and one Bull using an 8 foot glass broomstick Miami J. Lee Cuddy blank and Penn 3/0 HS Senator red side plates and 30lb pink Ande probably tested 40 to 50...not particularly sporting for a non-edible fish and I killed to enter those old tournaments...no more...