Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default Favorite fly rod for tarpon?

Hey guys, For the guys who actually fly fish for Tarpon what is your favorite rod and what weight?

Thanks in advance

CB

Default Re: Favorite fly rod for tarpon?

Edited for clarification:

I don't have a ton of time with different makes of tarpon rods. I currently own Sage Salt HD in 10 and 12 weights. Like them both, just wish I got to fish them more frequently.

If you made me select another large tarpon rod out of the Salt HD family, I would consider a Sage X in 11 weight based on reviews by John Duncan of Telluride Angler.
    Last edited by steveid; 03-11-2019 at 10:41 AM.

Steve,

Actually I am very well versed in salt water fishing - I even got a grand slam on my first try 20 years ago.

I posted the question of what rods you guys use and like, to try and get some rod talk going. I also have the Sage HD in 12 wt, however I prefer the Loomis NRX 12 wts over the Sage Hd seems the Sage is really tip heavy....I mostly fish in Mexico now where I can catch one big fish after another-CB
    Last edited by cb3fish; 05-13-2019 at 10:42 AM.

The 1190 Sage X is the best tarpon rod I’ve ever used. Light and easy to cast and a superb fish-fighting tool.

My only experience has been with a 12 wt solar, which has worked well, but I'm going to take my 10 wt proaxis 1 pc with me in June. I hope it's still a one pc when I return...

I'll second the vote for the Sage X 11 wt. As mentioned above, it feels surprisingly light in hand, generates excellent line speed without a great deal of effort, and has sufficient lifting power. Definitely more user friendly than some of the other 11 wt rods that I've used.