Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: cleaning your saltwater reel

Like everyone else I hose down the tackle at days end during a trip. Arriving home the rods go into the shower with me and get the same soaping I do. I remove the spools and soak the reels for an hour in warm water, rinse, re-lube where appropriate and allow them to dry for a few days in my office where they also act as a post-trip decoration. Even my hats come into the shower to deal with sweat and sunscreen infused sweat bands.

My permit guide dunking the old Scott Heliply and its Islander (drag tightened down to protect the cork drag's neatsfoot oiling) aftere a long day on the Belizean flats.

BZ06 64a Turneffe Flats Trough.JPG

T15 029 Bonefish Reels cvs.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
    Even my hats come into the shower to deal with sweat and sunscreen infused sweat bands.
    I’m concerned about this. Won’t it remove fishing mojo?

Quote Originally Posted by brokeoff View Post
    I’m concerned about this. Won’t it remove fishing mojo?
    I sure hope not but it does make them less slimy to wear.

Like everyone else I hose down the tackle at days end during a trip. Arriving home the rods go into the shower with me and get the same soaping I do. I remove the spools and soak the reels for an hour in warm water, rinse, re-lube where appropriate and allow them to dry for a few days in my office where they also act as a post-trip decoration. Even my hats come into the shower to deal with sweat and sunscreen infused sweat bands.

My permit guide dunking the old Scott Heliply and its Islander (drag tightened down to protect the cork drag's neatsfoot oiling) aftere a long day on the Belizean flats.

BZ06 64a Turneffe Flats Trough.JPG

T15 029 Bonefish Reels cvs.jpg
    Be sure your owners' manual doesn't disallow you to soak the reel in water. Depending upon the design, it can have permanent negative effects. Henschel reels used to come with an orange sticker right on the backplate of the reel warning owners to not soak it, but of course a whole bunch did anyway. "It's what I've always done," claimed more than one customer. In this case, it voided the warranty. So, guess who lost a customer(besides Henschel?)

5. Default Re: cleaning your saltwater reel

I sure hope not but it does make them less slimy to wear.
    Sometimes I think there should be an option to DISLIKE as well as like or thank for a posting.

6. Default Re: cleaning your saltwater reel

I'd make a couple of points.
    It's not just rods and reels that need cleaning - it's any kit that has the potential to harbour salt even if it won't corrode itself. This includes reel covers and rod socks that may have been exposed to salt. I wash both of these.

I didn't understand why my Abel pliers were corroded in spite of how carefully I cleaned them until I realised that the holster was impregnated with salt as well as neats foot. The holster is now stored separately in a plastic bag between trips.

Quote Originally Posted by original cormorant View Post
    I'd make a couple of points.
    It's not just rods and reels that need cleaning - it's any kit that has the potential to harbour salt even if it won't corrode itself. This includes reel covers and rod socks that may have been exposed to salt. I wash both of these.

I didn't understand why my Abel pliers were corroded in spite of how carefully I cleaned them until I realised that the holster was impregnated with salt as well as neats foot. The holster is now stored separately in a plastic bag between trips.
    So washing the salt spray, sunscreen and sweat out of my hat is OK?

I have to admit I'm a little surprised at how little folks in this thread do to keep their reels in service.
    Going back to when I was a kid, I remember many fishing trips being ruined because my knucklehead friends (and maybe even myself) didn't know enough to maintain their saltwater reels.
    It happened more often than not.
    I'm not exactly Mr Neat & Tidy but that was a lesson that I learned too many times over and I don't care to learn it again
    (soak, don't spray)
    Quote Originally Posted by original cormorant View Post
    I use a carbon steel file and pliers
    Yeah they'll corrode, but they also stay sharp. Sharper longer than stainless steel ever will.
    (mine get a regular squirt of WD40 right into the holster)
    Just like with the reels, if you take care of your tools, they will take care of you.

IMGP0017.jpg
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

9. Likes cb3fish liked this post

Rip,

You make some very valid points. As I have stated in my other posts, I remove my saltwater infected backing from my reels and store it on a separate spool, However i failed to say i also wash the reel pouches inside and out with hot soapy water, also take a toothbrush with hot soapy water and scrub the reel foot and screws, I even take the reel handle off and scrub it...then strip the reel and lube where necessary. my 2 cents CB

11. Default Re: cleaning your saltwater reel

So washing the salt spray, sunscreen and sweat out of my hat is OK?
    100%

I disliked the thought of your slimy hat!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast