Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default cleaning your saltwater reel

Hey guys,

I was curious as how do most of you guys clean your reel after a saltwater trip?

CB
    Last edited by cb3fish; 03-31-2019 at 08:53 PM.

2. Default Re: cleaning your saltwater reel

CB,

Tighten the drag. Spray fresh water or put under the shower for 10 minutes making sure both sides of the reels (ported) get a drenching. When the reel has partially dried I losen the drag. I leave the reels out of their cases for 3 or 4 days to give the line and backing time to dry.

A couple of times a year or after a trip where I haven't been able to rinse in fresh water for a few days, I'll take the reels apart to get rid of the salt that's dried in the crevices.

Regards,

Trevor

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Default Re: cleaning your saltwater reel

I would think doing so is often required. It's really a matter of how intensely you do it and how far you strip the reel down. I clean the reel thoroughly, dry the line and backing, and even give a good cleaning to the rod. While I'm at it I do my pliers and file as well. Anodized aluminum is corrosion resistant (as you well know) but it isn't corrosion proof so one has to get the residue off. That means getting into places like those small crevices in many reelfoots and scrubbing them out well with a toothbrush or similar item. The only reel material used where you can approached it half-@$$ed is actual titanium. That is corrosion proof, but even there I always did my due diligence even though I knew it was critical.

Back when I used Medalist reels in the salt, I learned real quick that you needed to break down your reel and clean the whole thing after every single outing.
    They have 3 brass springs that will fail at the most inopportune times if not kept well oiled.
    When everything was scrubbed, I'd grease the spindle and then spray the whole thing with WD40
    After dealing with those Medalists for so many years, everything else is easy
    There's still one other reel that I use regularly that's a bit of a challenge. Corrosion builds up behind the drag where it's very hard to get to.

I like to work on my reels inside of a box so parts don't go flying off to "who knows where"
    I've lost drag parts like that before and while free replacements eventually came my way, it's a pain in the ass
    Stacking the parts in the order that they come off is a good plan too.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

5. Likes original cormorant liked this post

I rinse my gear off with a hose or in the shower after each trip. After several days of use or if I dunked my reel I take it apart and do a more thorough cleaning, including the line and at least some of the backing. At least once a season I take all the line off, do a good cleaning, and coat the reel with boeshield t-9.

I always rinse my reels in hot water, since warmer water dissolves salt faster and more easily.

8. Likes cb3fish liked this post

Grew up fishing in the ocean and the effects of saltwater was always an issue. This was no fly fishing tackle, spin and casting. Back in the day, the system that worked best for was strip the line off the reel, rinse every thoroughly, coat the reel with a mixture of kerosene and motor oil. Usually have to wipe down the the next time it's used to remove the excess oil. This is old school but you would be amazed at the condition of these 50 year old reels.

Hey Trevor,

After reading all the posts it seems most guys do just about the same procedure after a saltwater fishing trip.

When I am in the act of fishing for a month in Mexico I do spray off my rods and reels each day after fishing in saltwater with fresh water. Now after that being said about every 4th or 5th day I do take a rag with soap and water and wipe down the rods and reels and actually wash my floating lines and re-dress them and wow what difference it makes in the way the outfit casts after all the sticky saltwater is removed. I never wash my reels in the field with HOT water, because I don't want the salt to melt and go into my reels guts very far, I know it melts with cold however not as bad as with hot. When I get home I tear each reel down to the bones and wash in hot steamy water, then re-oil/grease everything. after that I remove all the saltwater infected backing and store on separate spools. I probably over due it, but that's what I do. It's pretty cool to see most do almost the same thing CB

11. Likes camelbrass liked this post

Hopefully your room will come with a reel drying rack:

4C309C37-A525-4566-83BE-0EC8C25692B2.jpg

13. Likes cb3fish liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by brokeoff View Post
    Hopefully your room will come with a reel drying rack:

4C309C37-A525-4566-83BE-0EC8C25692B2.jpg
    We just put the rods outside and drip dry-CB
    Attached Images Attached Images

15. Likes brokeoff liked this post