Fly for pompano

Threadfin72

Reaction score
New to the forum. Live in Pensacola Beach area. What is the best fly for pompano in the surf. The bite has been on fire with just fishbytes.

deceiverbob

Reaction score
I have caught exactly one pompano on a fly and it took an EP baitfish imitation. The other two catches that I witnessed were on an orange crazy Charley. I think brighter colored charleys and clousers in size 4 or 6 would work if you get the fly in front of the fish. You may also try searching the Pensacola Fishing Forum. The fly fishing section isn't all that active but most of the members are local. My limited pompano experience is in Mississippi waters.

lacivic99

Reaction score
Sandbarflies has a cool sand flea fly for pompano. The guy ties flies for that area, so you may find something you like.

okaloosa

Reaction score
Sandbarflies has a cool sand flea fly for pompano. The guy ties flies for that area, so you may find something you like.
those sandflea flies are amazing...certainly should work if he can get them to where the pompano can see them. That is the tricky part in the rough surf that they seem to prefer when I fished the panhandle area east of Pcola.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I tied some flies for a fellow in FL who said he fishes for pompano in tournaments. I don't have a pic of the fly. He said they imitate sand fleas, and sent me a sample of the fly, and I copied it. Was tied with orange egg yarn, and he said he fished them on a spinning outfit as a dropper behind some weight.

I would suspect that an orange Crazy Charlie, or Gotcha tied with the egg yarn as the wing would produce.