Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  6
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Hurricane Dorian in Abaco

Images from Marsh Harbour, the main town on Abaco. Airport still under water.

The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum - View Single Post - Tropical Storm Dorian

Some of the out lying cays are reporting 90% structure loss/damage.

USCG now conducting evacuations from out lying cays.

2. Thanks karstopo thanked for this post
    Blog Entries

Thatís terrible. Really, really, bad.
    Wherever you go, there you are.

Quote Originally Posted by karstopo View Post
    That’s terrible. Really, really, bad.
    The pictures of all the destruction is incredible. Can't imagine that any of the houses and such were built to with stand those levels of wind. It will take them some time to recover from this catastrophe but I have faith that being the people that they are, it will happen.

God bless them!

Blog Entries

I've seen several reports on the french TV ,dreadful.....my thoughts are with people who live there ,and forum members from this area.

Unbelievably, well, not really but horrible nevertheless, here comes Humberto...

Humberto.jpg

The house we stayed in in May is gone. Sad times in Abaco.

I think Abaco is off the list for a while, -even if they get the airport up and running tomorrow, there's inadequate support infrastructure to plan a fishing trip (the market/s in MHH are hosed, no gas stations, etc). I've been going at least once or twice a year for the past 19 years but this put a stop to that. I feel for the people but that's the reality of living in the tropics. When I had a waterfront home in S. FL, it was just a bargain you accepted: live on the water in the tropics, you might get spanked. Abaco did.

Mayaguana anyone?

Yep the logistics of rebuilding are going to be very challenging for an island that wasn’t exactly abundant with resources. Pretty much everything gets shipped in on shallow draft barges. But first the docks need to be rebuilt, the power and water restored and safe secure housing for those still there.

10. Default Re: Hurricane Dorian in Abaco

Has anyone heard how badly the Marls mangrove system was damaged? I know the Abaco Lodge, right on the edge of the Marls was destroyed.

Interestingly I just heard that one of the guides is going to open a grocery store, gas station etc in South Abaco. I know prior to the hurricane he didnít have much faith in the Bahamian governments ability to get stuff done and I imagine this is an effort to take the bull by the horns and get something done without the government. I think it will be a long time before Marsh Harbour is sorted out.

From what I’ve seen/heard the south end of the island was relatively unscathed. Utilities and supplies obviously an issue.

I know the school in Cherokee reopened on a restricted hours basis to try and establish some normality for the children still there. Also the grocery/convenience store has recently reopened on restricted hours.

A number of the residents of Cherokee were displaced, safe secure housing of employees for local businesses is now a primary concern.

The big bird poultry farm, about half way between MH and the southern end, suffered damage and apparently lost its entire “orchard” of Avocado trees.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast