Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Casting difference 8 wt. vs 9 wt.

Ordered this one from Trident. They are a shop out of Maine. Had the best price that I had been able to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonedaddy View Post
    Ordered this one from Trident. They are a shop out of Maine. Had the best price that I had been able to find.
    Check out the 7 day guarantee. That was one of the shops I was referring to.

OP, Welcome to the Forum. Might I surmise from your name you are using these rods to pursue bonefish? It is my preference on the tropical flats to have a #7, 2 8-weights and a #9 rigged, usually rods from differing designer/makers as I seek diverse rod "personalities". The 7-weigfht will be rigged with a sparse, smaller shrimp fly for really skinny water, the 8's, one fast the other very fast will have two different lines and flies to match to depth and wind conditions and the #9 will be the most aggressive for a larger, heavier crab fly for deep flats or if a permit materializes. Each has its place and each gets used most every angling day.

For your new Meridian I suggest RIO's Direct Core Bonefish line and if you also intend to score a great 8-weight on close out, G-Loomis's NRX is also at discount.

4. Likes fly2field liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Bonedaddy View Post
    if both were the same brand and model is there a noticeable casting difference.
    Depends if they are rolled off the same mandrel. As an example, the difference between a Sage RPLXi 7/8/9/10 was a very gradual increase but the difference between the 10/11 was huge. The 11/12/13 were close but the 14 was a pool cue.

If it's just a case of insurance in the event of breakage, I'd get the same rod you have in duplicate. Back when I did 3-4 trips a year to Belize I took three identical 8wt rods, there aren't many fish in Belize that can't be handled with an 8wt (sadly) and I liked a specific rod so I just took spares of the same.

if it's to have access to a heavier stick, go have your local shop string up a bunch of different rods and see which your arm likes. I would not succumb to brand loyalty in this pursuit if you are picking a different rod than what you already have. Let your casting arm decide.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12