Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 36

Thread: Bluefish Blitz

  1. #21

    Default Re: Bluefish Blitz

    Holy cow that was nutty. While I am glad they arent in AK to cause havoc on the prey species, I definately want to catch some! I have fished river with a quarter million red salmon going by in 24 hours, but that is something different.

    Is that occurance someonewhat predictable? Does it happen on the flood tide, or is this a lunar thing? Any insight from the local experts is appreciated.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    quiet corner, ct
    Posts
    8,538

    Default Re: Bluefish Blitz

    Quote Originally Posted by nerka View Post

    Is that occurance someonewhat predictable? Does it happen on the flood tide, or is this a lunar thing? .
    They go where the food is.
    They like to trap the bait. That may be against structure, against the surface, or by shear numbers.
    Rising tide is usually best in the surf, but they don't like the heavy pounding surf like stripers.
    I've seen them wait to trap bait in shallow water on a falling tide, ripping around in mere puddles with their backs out of the water, and waiting until the last minute to escape themselves.
    Often they'll trap bait along the shore line as in the video, but most of time they'll follow schools in open water, waiting for the opportunity to push the bait ball together against the surface and blast through.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Akron Ohio (don't let that fool you)
    Posts
    1,987

    Default Re: Bluefish Blitz

    Quote Originally Posted by only adipose View Post
    In middle school, i was telling this kid i had gotten into the blues everyday after school and he desperately wanted to get one... So we went riding our bike along the bay following them until they came in close enough to cast too... He had a little trouble hooking up, but finally got one! I told him to be careful, but i guess he was too excited cause that sucker bit the tip of his thumb off, blood everywhere. I told him keep pressure on it, while i landed a few more.. It takes a lot for me to walk away from a perfectly good blitz and it was only the tip of his finger..
    Hahahahahaa!!! Greg or whatever his name was right? Hahah I just remember hearing "it got me" there was a perfect bite mark where the tip of his thumb should have been! If I remember right you waited quite a while before you left! Hahahaha that was classic Jersey Shore Blitz fishing didn't Greg quit fishing after that? Oh man dude I'm tears laughing so hard! we were all knuckle heads!!! Hahahaha It got me!
    Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave

  4. #24

    Default Re: Bluefish Blitz

    Quote Originally Posted by nerka View Post
    Holy cow that was nutty. While I am glad they arent in AK to cause havoc on the prey species, I definately want to catch some! I have fished river with a quarter million red salmon going by in 24 hours, but that is something different.

    Is that occurance someonewhat predictable? Does it happen on the flood tide, or is this a lunar thing? Any insight from the local experts is appreciated.

    In my experience, these types of blitzes occur more frequently in the fall. When the angle of the suns rays begin to change, it signals to baitfish ( and each baitfish as well as juveniles of gamefish species) that have been living in the bays for the summer months that it is time to migrate, and they begin to leave the bays and make their migrations. When prevailing winds, or for some species of bait their instincts , keep the bait near the shore, the blues and stripers are able to push them against the shore and pin them down. This time of year albies also appear in the surf using similar tactics as well.

    Everybody has a theory about what the signal is for bait migration ( and therefor the odds of "blitz," fishing increasing) but after many years I have decided it is the angle of the suns rays. Others feel it is temperature of the air, or water temperature, or lunar pull or other factors. I think it is the angle of the suns rays.

    Sadly it has been my observation that these events have been declining in frequency since 2007, although the sand eel bite has picked up dramitically since then as well.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Parlin, NJ / Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    2,063

    Default Re: Bluefish Blitz

    I'm lucky enough to have a nice sandbar at the mouth of my harbor that does two things for me. 1. Allows me to wade 700 ft from shore and cast into the channel. 2. Is the perfect structure for baitfish to get trapped behind on the outgoing tide. Through June/July I catch Bluefish blitzs like that atleast twice a week. If your willing to fish the entire outgoing tide and the boat traffic doesn't wreak it, you will catch those 10-15 magical minutes.
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

  6. #26

    Default Re: Bluefish Blitz

    Riptide, floor above and others...thanks for the info.
    We have similar occurances with baitfish like herring getting pushed into massive schools ala bait balls. This is an ideal time to catch salmon in the saltwater, unless it is something much bigger doing the schooling like an orca or even more impressive is the humpbacks.

    It did appear to me that the situation is mildly predictable with the amount of people on the beach waiting for it to happen. When I get to the east coast this will definately be a priority for me. I would imagine they hammer clouser types.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Bluefish Blitz

    nerka I haven't been flyfishing all that long, but have been a surffisherman for soe time, and I can tell you when the blues are blitzing they will eat absolutely ANYTHING in the water....not sure I would want to put a brightly colored fly line in the middle of a bluefish blitz, not at the price flylines go for...

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    quiet corner, ct
    Posts
    8,538

    Default Re: Bluefish Blitz

    I caught my first bluefish on a fly around 35 years ago.
    (It was a black nose dace bucktail, I remember only because that and the mickyfinn were the only streamers that I knew how to tie at the time.)
    Personally, I've never lost a fly line to a blue, but I've seen it happen. Pretty funny when it's not yourself.
    It's not something that I would ever worry about. I do however always carry a spare line in my tackle bag.
    I've never found bluefish to be the push-overs that some people make them out to be, especially in the late spring and summer. I remember one instance very well where there were four or five of us casting into a blitz and no one caught a single fish. Very frustrating and not something you forget.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

  9. #29

    Default Re: Bluefish Blitz

    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    I caught my first bluefish on a fly around 35 years ago.
    (It was a black nose dace bucktail, I remember only because that and the mickyfinn were the only streamers that I knew how to tie at the time.)
    Personally, I've never lost a fly line to a blue, but I've seen it happen. Pretty funny when it's not yourself.
    It's not something that I would ever worry about. I do however always carry a spare line in my tackle bag.
    I've never found bluefish to be the push-overs that some people make them out to be, especially in the late spring and summer. I remember one instance very well where there were four or five of us casting into a blitz and no one caught a single fish. Very frustrating and not something you forget.
    I've experienced that several times with albies in the surf....of course I had conventional gear and not a fly rod....one of the reasons I began entertaining fly fishing, those damn Albies would not eat any tin I offered, no matter what flouro leader I put on, I just can not hook them consistently.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Parlin, NJ / Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    2,063

    Default Re: Bluefish Blitz

    Quote Originally Posted by floorabove View Post
    I've experienced that several times with albies in the surf....of course I had conventional gear and not a fly rod....one of the reasons I began entertaining fly fishing, those damn Albies would not eat any tin I offered, no matter what flouro leader I put on, I just can not hook them consistently.
    If I come across Albies with conventional gear I swear by a 007 dimond jig with a short shank 1/0 hook. My problem with flyfishing Albies in the NY/NJ area is the won't stand still!

    ---------- Post added at 09:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    I caught my first bluefish on a fly around 35 years ago.
    (It was a black nose dace bucktail, I remember only because that and the mickyfinn were the only streamers that I knew how to tie at the time.)
    Personally, I've never lost a fly line to a blue, but I've seen it happen. Pretty funny when it's not yourself.
    It's not something that I would ever worry about. I do however always carry a spare line in my tackle bag.
    I've never found bluefish to be the push-overs that some people make them out to be, especially in the late spring and summer. I remember one instance very well where there were four or five of us casting into a blitz and no one caught a single fish. Very frustrating and not something you forget.
    Rip Tide,

    We took a long time Trout fisherman to the harbor in the hopes of putting him on a BLitz. We where waist deep and surounded by Blues. He was so flustered he couldn't get a cast off. He actually landed a Bluefish on the backcast of a sloppy cast. I just about peeed myself when I saw the look on his face....
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Blitz
    By bigredfly in forum Coldwater Fly Fishing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-05-2010, 11:21 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-26-2008, 12:40 AM
  3. Bluefish the main target for fly fishers (Asbury Park Press)
    By Fish Bones in forum The Daily Papers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-20-2008, 06:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •