Echo E3S-ti line recommendations?

sonicdeath

Reaction score
Anyone have any line recommendations for a 6wt Echo E3S-ti? I plan to have a good floating line for carping and a sink tip line for saltwater fishing in the harbors for spotted bay bass and in the surf for corbina. looking at Rio lines forsure like the 250gr Striper 30ft sink tip, although i dunno if the over lining will do me any good. if not ill go for the outbound short in a WF6I/S6

el jefe

Reaction score
Echo has line suggestions on their site; however, the discontinued rods aren't on there, so I don't see a direct way to access those. Perhaps if one could find archives, or just reach out to Echo. They will still have that info, it just isn't out there currently.

clsmith131

Reaction score
I have the rod in a 9wt, and the Airflo ridge striper line does well on it. I've also used the outbound short and rio striper lines, but I'm pretty sure that when I purchased the rio striper, it was still rated by line wt. I bought it in a #9, and I can't remember what the grain wt is, but I think it's 1 1/2 or 2 line wts heavy according to the AFFTA chart. At any rate, the outbound is actually more like 2 1/2 line wts heavy, but being a shorter taper, you don't need to carry as much in the air to cast it. The E3S will handle any of these, but the OBS is what people call a "chuck and duck" line. You really only give it one or two false casts and a good haul. The rio striper will cast weighted patterns well, but it has a tendency to throw a more open loop in my experience. Both are good for schooling fish that surface fast and go back down, where you don't have time for 3 or 4 false casts. Neither are ideal for quiet presentation. The Airflo line in a WF9I is the best all around line that I have used on the rod so far, I use the rod for landlocked striper. If you are new to fly fishing, or if you have a lot of wind to contend with, the outbound could make life easier, but in a WF6I/S6, it will not be a pleasant cast. If you can get away with it, I much prefer a sink 1 or 3 tip. I've used the OBS in all different wts and configurations, the one I like is a WF#F/S3. But I go down one line size if I'm going to use it.

Keep in mind this is on a 9wt, I know the 8wt is pretty much the same rod but lighter duty, from using my friend's, but I can't speak as to whether the 6wt will fish the same with these lines. I will say that the E3S is a great value rod. It has an excellent blank, and is pretty much purely functional, with a no frills design.

One more thing I should mention is that I've found the Airflo line to be the best performer of the three in cold weather/water. It handles air temps in the 30's and water temps in the 50's with no issue. The Rio lines can have a tendency to knot up and benefit from a good stretch periodically.

sonicdeath

Reaction score
appreciate the feedback,, thanks a bunch! i may not even try to get a sink tip line at all nd just throw a floating line on it for carp..

falcon53

Reaction score
NW NJ, NE PA, Harvard NY on Upper Delaware
I am looking to pair a cold water line to my Echo 3S 9wt. For now I have it paired with a true to weight SA Frequency true to weight full length intermediate. The rod handles this line very well and with minimum false casting I can throw it 100ft. I use the rod in the Northeast salt usually from a skiff where it tends to get banged around (rough seas and wind). It gets the job done.