Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: thinking about a 9 wt

Quote Originally Posted by el jefe View Post
    How about a Scott Meridian? On clearance now, and as fine a rod as is made.
    I have heard of many who really like this rod. My only experience with it is a client of mine has one. He's broke it twice in 4 months. As far as I know he didn't do anything wrong. 1 broke on a fish and 1 broke mid cast.

As for the Loomis CC GLX and NRX I have heard many good things and liked both rods when i have tried them. Wouldn't hesitate to go with either of these. I have thought about pulling the trigger on the NRX many times but i like my mangrove so much its hard to want to spend more money on another rod.

2. Default Re: thinking about a 9 wt

I love spending other people’s money like this, and just as recommended By others I think the Asquith would be my choice. As an alternative though, have you simply tried over lining your 10 wt with an 11 line? This would help it load and you may get the results you are seeking...

Quote Originally Posted by okiekev View Post
    I love spending other people’s money like this, and just as recommended By others I think the Asquith would be my choice. As an alternative though, have you simply tried over lining your 10 wt with an 11 line? This would help it load and you may get the results you are seeking...
    that may be a choice to keep the rod on the boat and keep it fishing, the line on the rod now is an old saltwater taper
    that may be as old as the rod.
    the choices so far are dizzying , a lot of information on different rods. I may go with the T&T exocett
    I have a T&T trout spey, in 5 wt. they make a quality rod. haven't heard any complaints about the exocett

the sage would be nice, but I don't like the idea of it being over lined to use a particular line, do I buy it in an 8 wt and hope it is good as a 9wt. or will it act like an 8 and not give me the ability to throw bigger flies?
    or get a 9 and have it behave as a 10 and not be what I am looking for

lot's of choices

Instead of the Sage SALT, compare the Sage Igniter to the Exocett and Asquith/NRX+.

5. Likes fly2field liked this post

Long time follower, first time poster!

Max L, it's not fancy, but I have an Orvis Clearwater 9' 9wt I like. Picked it up to fish the surf (my third rod in the quiver after learning this year) but quickly realized it was way over weighted for Southern California (in partial thanks to the forum). Only used it twice, DM me if you're interested...

Any suggestions on alternate uses for a 9wt? Maybe hold on to it for the occasional trip to Northern California steelhead?

Thanks!
    Last edited by jbe; 12-06-2019 at 05:05 PM.

Key West last October catching lemon sharks with a TFO 12 wt./Nautilus Silver King reel. Guide says “I want to see you catch one on your 9 wt.”. I brought a 6 footer along side the boat on my 9 wt Mangrove/Hydros SL V after 25 minutes. It was more work. I put a lot of pressure on that rod, thought it might break. It is a tough rod. I had a 10 wt line on it.

8. Default Re: thinking about a 9 wt

Quote Originally Posted by CWFlies View Post
    I like my 8wt TFO mangrove. I have no problem throwing big/heavy flies with it and it handles bigger fish very well with plenty of touch when i need it on the flats. It's strong enough to take offshore for Bonito, mahi, kingfish or most anything i'll target here in FL inshore and offshore. I rarely use the 10wt unless its to dredge deep offshore or on the bridges for snook and tarpon. The 12wt gets even less use and is reserved for big tarpon on the beach or sailfish.
    I personally would stick with an 8wt as I didn't see anything listed about you need to go heavier for unless you get into some very large mahi but not much difference between a 8 or 9 so your call there.
    I'll second the TFO Mangrove. I have their 9wt and it has done a good job on a lot of larger species, including an 18 lb albie recently.

9. Default Re: thinking about a 9 wt

Quote Originally Posted by First Light View Post
    I'll second the TFO Mangrove. I have their 9wt and it has done a good job on a lot of larger species, including an 18 lb albie recently.
    Hard to go far wrong with a rod designed by Flip Pallot

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12