Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: Stripers

Default Stripers

I will be taking a trip to Maine this summer. I am wanting to target stripers while I am there and looking for some fly patterns to tie up this long winter? I would appreciate any suggestions that you all have.
    Thanks
    Ryan

Default Re: Stripers

Not my area of the country, but sand eel and silver side patterns should work there. Surf Candy is a fly that will imitate both. Also look at herring and bunker patterns.
    "All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

In Maine you're going to run into some big baits like herring, pollock, menhaden and mackerel.
    Also because of the extreme tidal range you're going to want to be able to fish deep and fast.
    Quick moving currents passing rocky ambush points hold predators.
    The faster the rip, the more likely you'll find fish

The Grocery Fly is a Maine standard. It's pretty much just an oversized Deceiver.
    A Half&Half is what it sounds like. Half Deceiver, half Clouser Minnow.
    I like Flat Wings because they're tied sparse and are easy to cast.
    Each one of those is basically a Deceiver variation.
    Any big white or yellow deceiver type fly will cover a lot of bases.
    Probably the best all around top water fly is the Gartside Gurglar.
    If you can cover "deep", mid-level, and top water with something fairly large, you'll be fine.

Where I fished in Maine this year, what stripers that I saw were blitzing on large schools of menhaden (bunker)
    There were so many bunker in the water that you couldn't help but snag them.
    Too bad that there weren't that many stripers

IMGP0009.jpg
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

4. Likes bigjim5589, ia_trouter liked this post

I've never been there but my favorite for the FW striper here are flashtail clousers.
    I use polar flash for the tail, which is just blended polar fibre (craft fur) and thin flash. If that's too much flash for your taste, just use craft fur and a couple strands of krystal flash or lateral flash. A lot of people prefer to tie their clousers sparse, but for the fish I chase, a fuller profile does the trick. I imagine with the bunkers up there you might do well with a large, full profile as well. I tie hook sizes from #4 to #2/0.

Also, deceivers, half and halfs, and flatwings.

6. Likes bigjim5589 liked this post

Thanks for the info it will give me something to work towards this winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    In Maine you're going to run into some big baits like herring, pollock, menhaden and mackerel.
    Also because of the extreme tidal range you're going to want to be able to fish deep and fast.
    Quick moving currents passing rocky ambush points hold predators.
    The faster the rip, the more likely you'll find fish

The Grocery Fly is a Maine standard. It's pretty much just an oversized Deceiver.
    A Half&Half is what it sounds like. Half Deceiver, half Clouser Minnow.
    I like Flat Wings because they're tied sparse and are easy to cast.
    Each one of those is basically a Deceiver variation.
    Any big white or yellow deceiver type fly will cover a lot of bases.
    Probably the best all around top water fly is the Gartside Gurglar.
    If you can cover "deep", mid-level, and top water with something fairly large, you'll be fine.

Where I fished in Maine this year, what stripers that I saw were blitzing on large schools of menhaden (bunker)
    There were so many bunker in the water that you couldn't help but snag them.
    Too bad that there weren't that many stripers

IMGP0009.jpg
    THIS is spot-on advice! (Sounds like somebody stopped in at Eldredge Bros...)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by osseous View Post
    THIS is spot-on advice! (Sounds like somebody stopped in at Eldredge Bros...)
    Never been there. Just speaking from my own experience
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

10. Likes osseous liked this post

If you make it up that way, the shop in Cape Neddick (home to one of the world's most famous light houses) is excellent- and perhaps the best Striper shop you will find. An outstanding array of "Grocery flies" on hand to match the local baitfish- but your shoulder will feel the wrath of those 5/0 hooks.....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

As far as Stripers, and really most any fish that you might chase with flies, if you tie flies that imitate the available forage, and can cover the water column top to bottom, you'll have it covered.

Rip's comments pretty much says the same thing, although his experience in ME and other coastal waters should be highly considered over general advice.

Stripers will sometimes key on specific forage, and they will certainly sometimes take flies that are "attractor" and look nothing like anything that swims. So, doesn't hurt to have some variety. Size & profile are usually of more importance than exact colorations, then of next importance is getting the flies in front of them.

As Rip mentioned, fish the conditions, where they may be, and that's not always an easy task.
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

13. Thanks Rip Tide thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
    As far as Stripers, and really most any fish that you might chase with flies, if you tie flies that imitate the available forage, and can cover the water column top to bottom, you'll have it covered.

Rip's comments pretty much says the same thing, although his experience in ME and other coastal waters should be highly considered over general advice.

Stripers will sometimes key on specific forage, and they will certainly sometimes take flies that are "attractor" and look nothing like anything that swims. So, doesn't hurt to have some variety. Size & profile are usually of more importance than exact colorations, then of next importance is getting the flies in front of them.

As Rip mentioned, fish the conditions, where they may be, and that's not always an easy task.
    Thanks bigjim5589

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk