Florida Saltwater Fishing in January

csangler

Reaction score
I've been fly fishing freshwater for 30 years and now decided to give saltwater fly fishing a go. I ordered a saltwater rod and reel fro Christmas and I'm planning on booking a guided trip in Florida in January. I live in Coral Springs which is near Ft. Lauderdale. Where would be a good place to go for a newbie to learn in Florida in January? I realize the weather could be a big factor but was looking for something that wasn't too technical to start.

osseous

Reaction score
The Everglades- LOTS of shots at lots of fish, means you are more likely to land something- and learn more along the way. The weather drives fish into the backcountry- so January is a great time to head there.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

flafly14

Reaction score
Nighttime docklights on the intracoastal. Try to do it on a falling tide. Hopefully we'll get a good shrimp run year. But even if not, you should be able to get into plenty of snook and trout that way. Throw your favorite buggy pattern but put a good weedguard on it since you'll be casting up against people's docks. Try not to get all hung up on their stuff. Also, if you get a bunch of dolphins hanging around you, then go somewhere else because they're just eating every fish you release.

CWFlies

Reaction score
Do you have access to a boat? As a newbie i would focus on docklights for snook or get off the beaches for Spanish mackerel. Both are very easy to catch and make for great learning opportunities in the winter. Great for getting use to double hauling, strip setting, and fighting saltwater fish. You could also hire a guide to take you into ENP. Get decent this winter and come spring be ready for bigger and better opportunities like tarpon permit and bonefish.

lacivic99

Reaction score
I would hit the freshwater canals for bass, peacock bass, and snakehead since you're in Coral Springs. I make the trip down from central Florida a few times a year to do just that. The canals have so much access so it's easier for a shorebound angler.

The key to saltwater fishing down that way is having a boat. Very little shoreline access. Beach fishing can be done but from my experience, you'll have better luck in the summer when snook are cruising the beach and swell/wind is generally calmer.

jr spey

Reaction score
I've been fly fishing freshwater for 30 years and now decided to give saltwater fly fishing a go. I ordered a saltwater rod and reel fro Christmas and I'm planning on booking a guided trip in Florida in January. I live in Coral Springs which is near Ft. Lauderdale. Where would be a good place to go for a newbie to learn in Florida in January? I realize the weather could be a big factor but was looking for something that wasn't too technical to start.
Most of these responses seem to refer to a non-guided trip, I think he wants an area where he can book a guide AND find decent fishing. The Glades are a terrific option. There's always something off Jupiter/Palm Beach, though you'll be too early for spinner sharks. Much of the state can produce excellent fishing at that time of the year, but it is extremely weather dependent. I've gone to Key West in January and had excellent tarpon fishing, with quite a bit of permit action. Two year later, the same week, we caught only barracuda, and not very many of them. The only real difference was the weather.

jr spey

Reaction score
Most of these responses seem to refer to a non-guided trip, I think he wants an area where he can book a guide AND find decent fishing. The Glades are a terrific option. There's always something off Jupiter/Palm Beach, though you'll be too early for spinner sharks. Much of the state can produce excellent fishing at that time of the year, but it is extremely weather dependent. I've gone to Key West in January and had excellent tarpon fishing, with quite a bit of permit action. Two year later, the same week, we caught only barracuda, and not very many of them. The only real difference was the weather.

maction17

Reaction score
I'm not new to saltwater (summers on Cape Cod), but fairly new to warm salt. I'm going out in Everglades Nat'l Park this Monday with a guide and I'm happy to report back my experience.

csangler

Reaction score
I'm not new to saltwater (summers on Cape Cod), but fairly new to warm salt. I'm going out in Everglades Nat'l Park this Monday with a guide and I'm happy to report back my experience.
That would be great. I just booked a room for January 15-17 at the Rod and Gun Club in Everglades City. I need to book a guide next so any recommendations would be welcome.

Bonesonthebrain

Reaction score
Will be in Port Charlotte Jan 4-18th, plan on fishing Charlotte Harbor, Pine Island Sound and a few trips to the Everglades. Hopefully the weather and fish cooperate. Will post how things go before you get there.

As for guides out of Everglades city, am sure Benny B. Is great, but sometimes the well know names are more expensive and booked. Plenty of of quality guides there.

Last edited:

csangler

Reaction score
Capt. Jeff Legutki Naples FLA
Thanks. I booked a trip with him on January 19, 2020. Really looking forward to giving this a shot. I've got the rod and reel but anything else I should bring besides bug spray and sunscreen?

bonefish41

Reaction score
Polaroids...what's your rod and reel? Use the guides set up if you stuff is light as in under 8...I'd use in the 'glades 9 or 10 fish can't count...but use what your guide suggests and use his flies...it's time to learn

csangler

Reaction score
Polaroids...what's your rod and reel? Use the guides set up if you stuff is light as in under 8...I'd use in the 'glades 9 or 10 fish can't count...but use what your guide suggests and use his flies...it's time to learn
I got a 9 foot Sector 8 weight with and a Nautilus NVG 8/9 spooled with Saltwater Infinity Amplitude line. Santa brought it for Christmas.

maction17

Reaction score
Gahhhhhhh-- I'm so very late on replying to this thread. Nevertheless, I'll report my experience. My day almost didn't happen. There were some severe (tornado) weather warnings the night before and right up until we green lit it at 3:30am, it was really touch and go. In this case, the weather seemed to have helped us out. Water had pushed into the glades, and we started northeast of Whitewater Bay. Targeting little snook at first, our attention shifted when we saw about six tarpon roll. We moved further into the glades, to a point where we were in fresh water, and we hit the jackpot. I caught over 20 baby/juvenile tarpon ranging from 5-30lbs. Two were two big to take out of the water. We did it all essentially just lapping one stretch of water up and down. Eventually, the rolls turned pretty angry and the poons' patience with us gave. I had a fantastic experience with a guide named Mark Giacobba. He's from Boca Raton, but he posts up in Flamingo and that's the water he really knows (quite well).

The next day he took a client back to the spot he and I were at, but the water had dropped 18 inches and they left quickly after discovering it was a completely different dynamic.

I highly recommend Mark to anyone. He may not have the media presence that someone like Blanco has, but he earned every bit of his charge. He read the conditions, water, adapted, and I hit pay dirt. Seach for "glades outfitters" and his site pops up. He also enjoys carrying some serious camera equipment with him and if you let him, he'll get some great stills/video.

IMG-5206.jpg