Eleuthera Bones in 2021

bob3700

Reaction score
Starting to plan a family vacation to Eleuthera in March of 2021.

Would like to take a day or two of guided fishing for Bones. Anyone have experience in that area. We are looking at staying around Harbor Island and my son-in-law and I would like to try our hand at Bone's/Permit etc.

Any information would be appreciated.

Bob

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
I used to fish out of Harbour Island with Bonefish Joe Cleare and Stanly Johnson, they are both gone now. But Joe had a son who married Stanly's daughter and had trained to be a guide...I just googled him: Mr. Stuart Cleare. If he is anything like his illustrious an famous father, you are in for a treat.

bonefishstuart@live.com
Bay Street, Dunmore Town, HI
(242) 333-2072

okiekev

Reaction score
S&S, do I have a story about Stuart... you really can’t make this up.

I tried to book Stuart a few years ago as my wife and I were spending a week in Hi. To sum it up, things didn’t go so well... I knew things were off as he pulled up with his boat loaded up with spinning rods and he seemed surprised I had my fly gear. Anyway, we loaded up and made our way out to a flat and he began to pole around. About 15 minutes later, his phone rings in his pocket and he takes the call. Apparently he had double booked that day. I am not sure what the protocol should have been but he took us back to the dock and loaded up the other group. Maybe this was the group he was originally expecting as they had no gear and were apparently ready to drown some bait.

I had done my homework on tides and had the timing right, so this put a big wrench into the equation and I was not happy. No refund offered or apologies, He then called a friend of his to come take us out. Stuart then departs with his new group while my wife and are standing there waiting on the government dock gear in hand.

An hour later, his friend shows up in a beat up run about bow rider boat. This new guy had no clue and showed up with some conch expecting to take us and chum. After a brief discussion about my expectations, We went to a flat and the guy couldn’t see fish to save his life... quite literally... I spotted a 4 ft lemon that he insisted was a bone and wanted to stalk it. Once I finally convinced him it wasn’t a bonefish, I was already making my way back to the boat. As I was familiar with the tide, I knew we were losing water fast and as you would expect, he had motored way too far into the flat... and sure enough the boat is sitting high and dry when we get there. My wife had stayed behind anyway as I told her from the second we pulled into the flat that this guy was watching the shark and she wanted nothing to do with that. We weren’t going anywhere for a while...

Over the next 3 hours I waded and fished alone with my wife in tow, while this dude sat in the boat sipping on the 6 pack of Kaliks he brought along. I ended up catching 2 decent bones as the water began to come back in, I think he was napping at this point. By the time we got done and back to the dock, Stuart’s boat was back but he was nowhere to be found. His buddy and I settled on half of the scheduled rate but it was still one heck of a day.

I spent the rest of the trip DIY on the flat just out of Dunmore and had a good time. Crazy day to say the least... I am sure the story told from the other group was much different as he honored their arrangement and even gave up a trip to come back and get them. I am sure it was an honest mistake, and I don’t even know what resolution I would have wanted so no hard feelings. Oh well, at least I can laugh about the whole thing now.

Anyway, I will be back in Harbour Island in 6 weeks celebrating my big 4-0, but I don’t plan on any reunion with Stuart.

flyminded

Reaction score
I think Paul Petty is out of Governors Harbor on Eleuthera...or was when I was there. Ferry ride and about an hour car ride south from HI.

sweetandsalt

Reaction score
okiekev, I'm sorry I recommended "Bonefish" Stuart while literally knowing nothing about him except who his father was. I would have been livid in your situation and was once in Plascencia, Belize with a very similar story.

bob3700

Reaction score
okiekev,
Given that story, I will tell you right now that you are a much better person than I. Don't know what the final outcome of the day would have been for me, but I know that I would not have handled that situation as graciously you did.

Customer service is what you expect from your guide.

Do you have any recommendations for a guide in that Harbor Island area?

Bob

okiekev

Reaction score
Oh I was plenty upset but I am not really one to get hung up on stuff like that. Honestly, I was thinking the other day, I could write a novel of the misadventures of my experiences with fishing guides over the years.

Unfortunately I don’t have any other recommendations for guides on Harbor Island. I think Stuart May be about the only dedicated bonefish guide on Harbor Island. I have hear of Paul Petty, but I think he runs further south more on Eleuthera. I think there are a few guides that run out of Spanish Wells including a guy carrying the family name of Pinder that carries a decent rep around the area. There is another jack of all trades type of guide named Ryan Neilly out of SW but will pick you up in HI if desired. The only reason I know him is because we communicated back and forth about a possible lobster spear fishing trip for my upcoming trip in February. Unfortunately his rates were considerably more than I wanted to spend.

When we go in a few weeks, I will be renting a boat a couple of days and bouncing around to a few flats I have been scouting on google earth. I have also been reworking some flies and some different tactics I will be trying on the lone tree flat... I need some revenge on those picky fish! Haha! I will be happy to share more insight when I return.

For now I am just excited about a sunset, cold Kalik, and conch salad from the dock at Queen Conch... or maybe a pina colada and lobster quesadillas at Sip-Sip. And now it becomes more clear why I wasn’t more upset at “Bonefish” Stuart...:D

okiekev

Reaction score
Well I just returned to rainy, cold Alabama and I truly think I have the wife talked into moving to the Bahamas! Spent the last few days hanging out on Harbour Island and was fortunate enough to chase the bones around a few times. It really seemed they were happiest at the end of the outgoing tide as these fish really like their backs out of the water. The water temp was cool in the morning and they were very happy mid morning. Coming in schools of 3-10, they were still incredibly picky on Girls bank but if I could get an oncoming shot at a larger school, they competitive instincts often kicked in. Every time I go, there seem to be more and more guys with rods on the flats and the fish are reacting as expected. Still an amazing time and such a beautiful escape!
D81E376F-235A-4435-A60D-F81E1CC0D08E.jpg9C63F838-4F5E-4720-BE4F-E76BA19A655A.jpgA07F02B1-4561-4ABA-B25A-F35C8ADFC3B9.jpg

okiekev

Reaction score
Well I just returned to rainy, cold Alabama and I truly think I have the wife talked into moving to the Bahamas! Spent the last few days hanging out on Harbour Island and was fortunate enough to chase the bones around a few times. It really seemed they were happiest at the end of the outgoing tide as these fish really like their backs out of the water. The water temp was cool in the morning and they were very happy mid morning. Coming in schools of 3-10, they were still incredibly picky on Girls bank but if I could get an oncoming shot at a larger school, they competitive instincts often kicked in. Every time I go, there seem to be more and more guys with rods on the flats and the fish are reacting as expected. Still an amazing time and such a beautiful escape!
View attachment 21456View attachment 21457View attachment 21458

Attachments

okiekev

Reaction score
Oh, and the conch salad at Queen conch...A72054FF-41EA-456C-BDA1-65E8B7BEDA6F.jpg
Cheeseburger in Paradise at Ma Ruby’s...
9AC3202F-4B70-49B9-96FB-B7FA75090565.jpg
Sip Sip lobster quesadillas...
5DA890B0-CD3A-4347-AAF8-519D16E29FC3.jpg
Anniversary dinner at Rock House...
2E6C2ED1-3237-4C63-98AD-C962F837FF37.jpg
Rum drinks of many kinds, Cuban cigars, And cold Kaliks...
Did I mention I like this place?

Attachments

flyminded

Reaction score
Sip Sip is where I met Sean Penn ... pretty quiet humble person in private.

And I think it was Rock House where I got to have dinner while sitting next to Elle Macpherson, sadly she was on the next table, without doubt the most physically beautiful woman I ever laid eyes on.

okiekev

Reaction score
Sip Sip is where I met Sean Penn ... pretty quiet humble person in private.

And I think it was Rock House where I got to have dinner while sitting next to Elle Macpherson, sadly she was on the next table, without doubt the most physically beautiful woman I ever laid eyes on.
That is pretty cool! Supposedly celebrity sightings are fairly common there, but unfortunately I am not to versed in pop culture, or any culture for that matter, and probably wouldn’t be able to recognize Sean Penn if he walked up and punched me. Haha!

I did get my picture with Ma Ruby’s daughter Karen... does that count for anything?
23A140B7-FFFB-46E9-B6B0-BA9533D41C3D.jpg
If you go there I am sending her my white Oklahoma State hat to hang on the wall so look it up...

Geneg

Reaction score
I think Paul Petty is the go-to guide on Eleuthera.
I have fished with Paul each November the last 2 years. He is a terrific guide and will put you on bones. I spend at least a week a year on Eleuthra. It is well worth the drive to meet Paul. You can DIY but the best locations require a flats boat or a strong knowledge of out of the way locations. Paul is much less expensive than guides on northern end of island. Easy to rent a car or get a taxi. I have walked savannah sound and have caught bones but more triggers which put up a great fight and are not as spooky. With Tourism at a halt guides are not likely to be booked. I am also thinking of March as my brother owns a home there.

bob3700

Reaction score
I have fished with Paul each November the last 2 years. He is a terrific guide and will put you on bones. I spend at least a week a year on Eleuthra. It is well worth the drive to meet Paul. You can DIY but the best locations require a flats boat or a strong knowledge of out of the way locations. Paul is much less expensive than guides on northern end of island. Easy to rent a car or get a taxi. I have walked savannah sound and have caught bones but more triggers which put up a great fight and are not as spooky. With Tourism at a halt guides are not likely to be booked. I am also thinking of March as my brother owns a home there.
OK so updating this thread. Have booked Paul Petty for March 2021 out of Governers Harbor. His wife said that he fishes Savannah Sound. On Google earth that is well south of GH. Will be looking for recommendations on what flies to have with me for that trip. We will also be looking for Paul's advice on some DIY wade fishing. Picked up a copy of "DIY Bonefishing" by Rod Hamilton. It came highly recommended for some good info on DIY fishing. Hope this COVID issue starts getting under control with vaccines right around the corner.

Geneg

Reaction score
Very happy for you. Paul launches his boat from a friends place near Savanah sound but you will fish other areas that he can get to by boat. I have read Rods book and it is terrific. You should do well in March as bonefishing has been down for a year. I bet Savanah sound will be good for DYI. My brother who lives there a few months a year has found a tidal creek with many bones that have no pressure but you need a boat Stay in touch because it looks like I will be there in March. I am 70 and hope to get the vaccine early. The 5 day testing window they have posted sounds difficult. My brothers home is in the northern end.

As far as flies, the sand is pinkish to tan and shrimp are that color. McVay gotcha. Ghost shrimp spawning shrimp. Ververka mantis shrimp. Bring a crab/shrimp pattern and a few gotcha clousers. Size 6 to 8. My first bone with Paul was a 5 pounder that ran into my backing. What a thrill. When on your own you may want to fish the surf or jetty for snapper, trigger etc. so have some flies for these. I have caught many bones on the surf with a spinning rod and squid. Snapper etc as well. Just after dinner with a beer and a chair. A tip. When casting for Bones, especially in deeper water, let the fly sink. Count to about 10 slowly.

bob3700

Reaction score
Geneg,

Just turned 70 on Monday so we are in the same boat so to speak. Am going to email Paul and get his recommendations on flies as well. Do you know if he sells flies to his clients or is it best to bring them from home?
I have a 7 wt. Method and a 9 wt. Meridian , both with SA Bonefish smooth line on them. Hoping to soak up all the instruction that Paul can give us and then five DIY a try. Will be on the island for 6 days so a bit of fishing to go along with the family vacation.

Thanks for your help, it is always appreciated.

Bob

Geneg

Reaction score
Paul will be able to help with the flies but unlikely he will have many. Bring tippet as well. I think he recommends a pretty heavy tippet. 7 weight rod should be fine. I have an 8. My brother has a 9. If you need a recommendation for car rental let me know. If you snorkel there is a lake with more sea horses than anywhere in the world. Out of the way location and few if any tourists but incredible sight. Near the caves.

Tejas Ag 10

Reaction score
Oh I was plenty upset but I am not really one to get hung up on stuff like that. Honestly, I was thinking the other day, I could write a novel of the misadventures of my experiences with fishing guides over the years.

Unfortunately I don’t have any other recommendations for guides on Harbor Island. I think Stuart May be about the only dedicated bonefish guide on Harbor Island. I have hear of Paul Petty, but I think he runs further south more on Eleuthera. I think there are a few guides that run out of Spanish Wells including a guy carrying the family name of Pinder that carries a decent rep around the area. There is another jack of all trades type of guide named Ryan Neilly out of SW but will pick you up in HI if desired. The only reason I know him is because we communicated back and forth about a possible lobster spear fishing trip for my upcoming trip in February. Unfortunately his rates were considerably more than I wanted to spend.

When we go in a few weeks, I will be renting a boat a couple of days and bouncing around to a few flats I have been scouting on google earth. I have also been reworking some flies and some different tactics I will be trying on the lone tree flat... I need some revenge on those picky fish! Haha! I will be happy to share more insight when I return.

For now I am just excited about a sunset, cold Kalik, and conch salad from the dock at Queen Conch... or maybe a pina colada and lobster quesadillas at Sip-Sip. And now it becomes more clear why I wasn’t more upset at “Bonefish” Stuart...:D
I'm sorry about your experience with Stuart. I have actually been with him twice and he's been great and seems really knowledgeable of the area.