Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  29
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bonefish itus

Default Re: Bonefish itus

Are the bones in the Indian ocean slimmer than the ones in S. FL?

2. Default Re: Bonefish itus

Yes...the Indian looks like Maine Pickerel belly...you want DD and sow belly come to Biscayne ...why would you travel 20,000 thousand miles and lighten your pocket book by 20 thousand for a Pickerel belly in the Indian ocean on some mothership scow with smelly rich f...ts...when you can get a DD sow belly in Biscayne ... spend the evening on South Beach watching the tide walk by inhaling the scent of a... whilst sipping a Pina colada or Cuban Libre for under 4 thousand. My biggest was my first Biscayne taped 28... according to Bonefish and Tarpon Trust weight methodolgy ..it weighed 12.8 lbs ("Length to weight calculations are based off measurements from 453 bonefish caught in the Florida Keys. The girth of an individual tarpon varies quite a bit, but bonefish girth is generally consistent across individuals, with a few exceptional fish that are very fat or very skinny. Therefore, just entering a fork length measurement gives a fair estimate of how much your bonefish weighs.") and that's a fat fishMy First with Cordell.jpg
    I'm 6' 230 that fish is on my chest not arms out

3. Likes okaloosa, fly2field, okiekev, The op liked this post

Well I feel safe saying I have never caught a 10 lb bone... though I have seen 2.

One was the first bonefish I ever saw when I was in college in the keys. My buddy caught one on a spinning rod and a shrimp that weighed 11.4 on the digital scale we had.

The only other one was on an Oahu flat about a dozen or so years ago. I watched that fish nose down on my fly and I was so excited, I trout set with the best of ‘em! It was just a different looking fish than the 4-7 pounders I had been messing around with... oh well, that’s what keeps you coming back right?

Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia

Be mindful that the Kiritimati Bonefish are a different species to those of Hawaii and the Cook Islands.The latter are thicker and thus heavier,which can make the often used nose-to-fork measurement open to interpretation.I agree with the OP...I've seen plenty of ten pound Bonefish that weren't.Here's a thirteen pounder from eight years ago in Aitutaki.The Guides there record the weight then tag any fish over ten pounds.
    resized bonefish pic.JPG

6. Likes brokeoff, fly2field, sweetandsalt, The op liked this post
    Byron Bay...easternmost point of Australia

I meant to add that I've hooked and lost some good Bonefish in Kiritimati over fifteen fortnightly trips,but I've never landed a ten pounder.The biggest I've personally seen landed was on the wrong side of twelve pounds (on a Popper believe it or not....the angler was chasing a GT at the time) and the biggest Bonefish landed on C.I.that I'm aware of was managed by Moana Kofe's son off the bow of Moana's Tinny..he told me it was twenty pounds.An absolute monster.

8. Default Re: Bonefish itus

Bonefish41, jeez that's a fat bonefish. I've caught fish up to 71cm fork length (28 inches) but have never seen a pig that fat.

I think that one of the attractions of the Indian Ocean and CXI destinations as far as bonefish goes is the sheer number of fish, if that's your thing. Compared to that fish though they're all pickerel bellied.

I hate liveaboards and rather spend my money on a bit of comfort. Alphonse Island is exceptional and Cubans, with a good malt were all part of the experience.

Regards,

Trevor

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

9. Default Re: Bonefish itus

T: " Alphonse Island is exceptional and Cubans, with a good malt were all part of the experience.": You're talking about a good smoke...my wording was vague, not complete, and incorrect I apologize "... spend the evening on South Beach watching the tide walk by inhaling the scent of a... whilst sipping a Pina colada or Cuban Libre..." edit...
    "...spend the evening on South Beach watching the flesh walk by, inhaling the scent of a woman... whilst sipping an overproof Pina colada or sipping an overproof Cuba Libre
    ray

10. Default Re: Bonefish itus

Ah Ray, thanks for the translation.

You're right, there's no Indian Ocean equivalent. Must do the Keys thing myself one day. Perhaps we could share stories over a rum

T

Quote Originally Posted by camelbrass View Post
    Ah Ray, thanks for the translation.

You're right, there's no Indian Ocean equivalent. Must do the Keys thing myself one day. Perhaps we could share stories over a rum

T

Lets make it a threesome.

Not 10 lb. but a fat Abaco fish.
    B14.2 221 Abaco Moore's Isl. Bonefish ss.jpg

12. Likes The op, camelbrass, fly2field liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by bonefish41 View Post
    Yes...the Indian looks like Maine Pickerel belly...

You may well be right. My 69er.

Sent from my moto g(8) plus using Tapatalk
    http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f304/Gforcegerry/shadowcaster.gif
    Regards Gerard

14. Likes The op liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12