New shrimp pattern

Prof. Salt

Reaction score
This week I've been thinking about how to make a shrimp fly different than anything I've seen before, and I may have stumbled onto a winner. It's more a combination of a squid and shrimp, but the redfish should have no trouble recognizing it as snack food. I bent a long shank hook, added .015 lead wire to the "keel" and applied CA. When dry I used sharpies to color it to match the fly and applied a coat of UV epoxy. Three colors of different length hair stacked to simulate the shrimp form, and CA to cover the threads. Sharpies made the brown shell markings, then a coat of UV. Lastly I made the eye dots on the dried UV and applied another small drop of epoxy to each, followed immediately by the UV light to prevent it smoothing out too much. Thick formula would work better for this, but the shop was already closed and I made the supplies on hand work. Smaller shrimp are tied on a long size 4 hook, and the larger one is a 1/0 size of the same style hook.

JDR

Reaction score
Very nice looking saltwater fly, Professor. I especially like how you incorporated the weight and used markers to make it an integral part of the pattern. Let us know what the fish think - or react, as the case may be.

karstopo

Reaction score
Looking good there, Prof. Salt. Seems like it's more fun catching fish on something that's at least partly a reflection one's own ideas than a faithful copy of somebody else's. I usually have to do at least some minor modification, for reasons that reflect the water I fish, to any published pattern SBS just to enjoy fishing it.

Next step is the water test, preferably water with hungry redfish. :)

brokeoff

Reaction score
Very cool. Do you think bending the hook might affect the integrity of it? I was slightly opening the hook gap on Bauer Crabs because that is what the original recipe called for. I read an article that this might lead to compromised hooks so I stopped opening them.

Prof. Salt

Reaction score
Very cool. Do you think bending the hook might affect the integrity of it? I was slightly opening the hook gap on Bauer Crabs because that is what the original recipe called for. I read an article that this might lead to compromised hooks so I stopped opening them.
In my (limited) experience, bending them only once results in a strong hook that has landed fish consistently. If you try to bend that hook back to the original shape, it weakens substantially. I can purchase "bendback" hooks, but bending the regular hooks has resulted in zero failures on the water to this point. I am careful to bend them only once. When I accidentally bend one too far, it goes into the trash.

okiekev

Reaction score
Just wondering out loud here... I don’t have any experience in bending hooks that way... But in my ignorance and inexperience, I would wonder if that would effect the hook up ratio. It seems as if pulling straight on the hook, the point is almost hidden. Can anyone speak to that?

okiekev

Reaction score
As others have commented....a beautifully tied and innovative Fly,but IMHO not for Bonefish.
Give me one in some tan or pink shades and I think it would work great for bones... but also keep in mind he mentioned it was for redfish.

Prof. Salt

Reaction score
Redfish are our usual neighborhood customers; I'm not sure I would recognize a bonefish on the Texas coast. On the question of hookup ratios, I have been impressed with how well a bent hook catches fish. There is a limit to how bent the hook can be to hook fish, but as long as the barb is still in front of the eye and upper shank, it will hook fish well. If the hook is bent so that the point is beyond the upper shank, it won't hook well. The bent hook allows me to ditch the weed guard that would otherwise be a must-have in our weedy waters.

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
Looks like a redfish candy bar alright. Anxious to see what the locals think of it when you throw it their way. Have you been out lately? I haven’t chase saltwater fish since over a month ago. Getting twitchy!!

Prof. Salt

Reaction score
Looks like a redfish candy bar alright. Anxious to see what the locals think of it when you throw it their way. Have you been out lately? I haven’t chase saltwater fish since over a month ago. Getting twitchy!!
I'm climbing the walls to get out, but I'm not released by my surgeon to paddle or fish for two more weeks. I had a fusion in my neck in January so fly tying has been my only connection to the water.

Joey Bagels

Reaction score
I'm climbing the walls to get out, but I'm not released by my surgeon to paddle or fish for two more weeks. I had a fusion in my neck in January so fly tying has been my only connection to the water.
That’s tough! Best wishes for your speedy recovery! At least the weather should stabilize a bit by then. We have another front coming through early next week. But if it stabilizes after, the flats should turn nice and warm and the reds will be ready to Hoover up hapless creatures. At least, I’m hoping so.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Late to the party, but I tie my share of bendbacks
Here's a good illustration on how to prepare the hook (step one)
excellent bug by the way

reels 013.jpg

Prof. Salt

Reaction score
This weekend marks the end of my time in a neck brace and I can get on the water (if the wind cooperates) to test out some flies! I was thinking about the bendback question and how the hook bend determines successful hookup to the fish, so last night I tied the same pattern on a wide gap VMC 6319 hook. The hook weighs just enough that it doesn't require added weight to swim below the surface, and the hook's keep shape keeps it upright as the fly swims. I may have to cast this design first, then try the bendback.

Flyrod Buddy

Reaction score
This weekend marks the end of my time in a neck brace and I can get on the water (if the wind cooperates) to test out some flies! I was thinking about the bendback question and how the hook bend determines successful hookup to the fish, so last night I tied the same pattern on a wide gap VMC 6319 hook. The hook weighs just enough that it doesn't require added weight to swim below the surface, and the hook's keep shape keeps it upright as the fly swims. I may have to cast this design first, then try the bendback.

I like your flies. How do the worm hook flys cast?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Prof. Salt

Reaction score
They cast nicely on the 6 weight or heavier. Getting them down range with the 4 wt requires good form, but it can be done. Since I am sitting in a kayak while casting, I have to be close to see signs of the fish and most casts are under 30 feet.