Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for good Sow Bug patterns

Default Looking for good Sow Bug patterns

Hey all. I'm doing a lot of tailwater fishing this time of year here in Colorado and am curious to see what kind of sow bugs are being tied out there. I've been impressed with some of the glass back patterns as well as those tied with biot antennae. I'd love to see what everyone is tying up so I can come up with a solid pattern to start tying myself. Thanks!

Default Re: Looking for good Sow Bug patterns

Trout--

You might try a Ray Charles-- super simple and effective:
    Ray Charles
    Mark

I tie some scuds (sows) up like a Bottom Roller in olive with a dark green head, or tan with a dark brown head, and sometimes in pink or orange with a dark red (maroon) head (october caddis) usually segmenting in 6 or 7 sections and the front two being the darker color. These work pretty good for me below the riffles. to change it up I will also occasionally add a hares mask tail.

d

+1 with peregrines on the Ray Charles. It's a quick easy tie that is just as easily tied small.
    The above said there is a Sow Bug out of one of my books that is also super easy: mono rib; sandwich bag shellback; grey (scud or buggy) dubbing picked out for legs. That's it. Talk about a bang for the buck.

*would a moderator please delete my duplicate post under peregrines link. I goofed-up.

Anybody know where I can find a good shellback material? I've seen a pearl "glassback" pattern tied at a fly shop in Estes Park, CO that would be perfect. Thanks!

Steve Korbay does his with this scud back material. It kicks it up a notch.
    Magic Shrimp Foil Fine Pearl Strips [FTS678] - $5.00 :
    I've never seen this except at his place.

I often use plastic from a sandwich bag for the covering.
    How to tie: John Wilson's Trout Crack, Fly Pattern, Nymphs, fly fishing, Tying Instruction, Recipe
    Have you tried Trout Crack? I hear it is a good one.

Ugly Scud Bug
    I just found this one.

Spring Creek Scud

Blood Spot Scud, Tan
    As long as I get a bite, I don't want to leave!

@Jimmie - Nice find! That is exactly the stuff being used to tie the pattern I found at the fly shop in Estes Park, CO.

@kelkay - I like the Ugly Scud Bug and Blood Spot Scud. I'm developing a preference for tweaking my flies just a little and these patterns have those tweaks like the "blood spot." My theory is that tying a good pattern very close to the natural in size and shape helps the trout identify it as the food source they're keyed on but having a tweak helps the fly stand out from the thousands of naturals drifting by.

Thanks guys!

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by kelkay View Post
    Have you tried Trout Crack? I hear it is a good one.
    I have not. Not very leggy for a sow/scud pattern. Seems like a killer midge pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by trout333 View Post
    Anybody know where I can find a good shellback material? I've seen a pearl "glassback" pattern tied at a fly shop in Estes Park, CO that would be perfect. Thanks!
    I've been looking for a material called Mirage Fringe; haven't been able to find it anywhere. I was running some errands this morning and stopped at a local craft store to see what they might have. I found some material called Gift Shred that is just about a perfect match. The one I grabbed is a pearl color mylar, 1/8 inch wide and looks just like the Mirage Fringe. The best thing was the price; a 2 ounce bag which was about the size of a gallon zip-loc, set me back a whopping $1.99 + tax.

Dan

Blog Entries

I fished the Big Horn River in Montana last year for the first time, and this sow pattern was the one that stole the show:

Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best FlyShop and online Fly Tying Tutorials

It's important to follow the instructions closely, especially to use the thread Charlie recommends.

Kelly.
    I fish, therefore I am - but I gotta go to work first..."piscari ergo sum"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast