Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Blog Entries

Default The Cats Whisker fly

Ive heard that these flys are really good flys in europe but havent seen any here in the US so i tied a few up and cant wait to try them..they are suposed to work for trout but idk well see..

how do you think they will perform? it may be quite a while till i get to try them..sorry i shoulda made a background its not the best pics

http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/a...17/eggs009.jpg

http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/a...17/eggs007.jpg

http://i966.photobucket.com/albums/a...17/eggs008.jpg
    "A good cast is like a good whiskey- It's smooth and hits the spot" -Anonymous fly fishing guide

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Cats Whisker fly

oo and 1 is beadhead style and the other 2 are chain eye styles
    "A good cast is like a good whiskey- It's smooth and hits the spot" -Anonymous fly fishing guide

I ve tied a few of these up a couple yrs ago and they worked good for bass in a few ponds, nice fly.

According to a pattern used locally, those are tied wrong. The wing goes on the other side of the shank, more like a bonefish fly. Many local anglers swear by them as magic, though I think they use Arctic Fox for the wing and marabou for the tail. I fish some similar stuff, but haven't joined the cat's whisker devout fan club yet.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kruggy1 View Post
    I ve tied a few of these up a couple yrs ago and they worked good for bass in a few ponds, nice fly.
    yea my buddy tied a few up and he said he caught a few smallies on his

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
    According to a pattern used locally, those are tied wrong. The wing goes on the other side of the shank, more like a bonefish fly. Many local anglers swear by them as magic, though I think they use Arctic Fox for the wing and marabou for the tail. I fish some similar stuff, but haven't joined the cat's whisker devout fan club yet.
    idk for sure but both videos i watched on you tube use marabou for wing and tail and the wing was in top...but there may be other variations

Just a suggestion- before you crank out a bunch of them, you might want to test a few with the bead chain eyes (or lead/brass dumbell eyes if you use them) in the tub on a bit of mono to see how they swim if you want to make sure the wing is on the top of the fly when it's in the water. The ones with a bead head shouldn't flip.

If the bead chain or dumbbell eyes are tied on top of the shank, it may flip the fly so it rides hook point up in the water. (if the eyes are light enough it probably won't).

If it does, you can tie them inverted (bead chain or dumbell eyes on top of the shank), then flip the hook in the vise and tie the wing on clouser style so the wing rides on top of an upside down hook. This will make the fly more weedless.

Or, you could flip the hook when you start the fly, and tie the dumbell eyes on the shank so that they're on the same side of the shank as the hook point, and then flip the hook and complete the fly with the wing on top of the shank.

mark

Blog Entries

hmm good idea..but before i really tie anymore i do want to take them fishing and see if i can catch anything other then bass but thanks for the tips

They look like they'd be great for Crappie too. Good luck with them!

mark

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
    They look like they'd be great for Crappie too. Good luck with them!

mark
    o_O there is a nice rezevior close to my house full of crappies...=