Flies for Halloween

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I saw a pattern in a magazine, liked it and decided to tie one. With Halloween just a few weeks away, I thought it sounded like an appropriate fly. The Vampire.
Hook; 6X long steamer size 4 to 8
Thread; 6/0 Black
Tag and Rib; flat silver tinsel
Throat; Calf tail and red hackle fibers.
Wing; Red crystal flash and red and black hackle.

Does anyone else have a pattern that sounds like a good 'Halloween' fly?

Reactions: Ard

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Very nice tie Diver,

I'm tying Canadian Killers right now, single and double hook both. When I'm finished I'll post one to the thread.

The orange sparkle fly looks seasonal so here is one of them....
[/IMG]

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Canadian Killer..............

This is the Canadian Killer. It'll take me awhile to get it really good but this one is moving in the right direction. Getting the proportioning and balance right on a pattern that is new to me is hard. I have to tie quite a few before they look good to me but impatience won out, here is the fly.

[/IMG]

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
That is true Larry, Mosca's bugger reminds me of all the great flies I received from the Woolly Bugger swap. Yours was a nice tie, yep, good fly tires here.

Ard

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Glad you liked the bugger, Ard. I used Doug's Bugs Glo-Brite in the brown-n-copper for the body. The tail is from a product by Spirit River called Mottlebou. The Speckled Brown color blends in shades of brown, orange, tan, grey, black, and others in between.

Here is a picture of the two materials.

Last night I caught two wild big shouldered Rainbow Trout (14" and 18") with that bugger from my homewaters, the Lower Yuba River. I also got a bunch of little dinky trout hitting the fly.

MP

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
J.P.

Wow!

I used to marry wings and tied Atlantic patterns. They drove me crazy. Now I use hair and am much more sane when I tie. I still have some of the old flies and they still catch fish even though I'm on another ocean now.

I must say, I have never even came close to the level of craftsmanship displayed in the tie you posted!

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Ard is right, this is an exceptional tye. I could never get those nice small heads. Well to be honest I could never come close to this quality.

Trygve, wonderful wing on your Caddis.

Frank

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Have you visited jp dessaignes' site,he's a world class salmon fies tier,you'll see little marvels:)I tied a salmon fly once in my life....the fishmeister had bought a salmon fly broach for one of his daughters....unfortunately...a group of moths had a good dinner with it:eek:so he asked me to tie another one on the broach hook...that's what I did and I must admit the result wasn't bad:rolleyes:,it will never catch any fish but only decorated a charming girl's blouse:D:D:D

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just for the fun of it:p I decided to tie a salmon flie for Halloween with what I could find in my drawers;)...It's the second one I've tied in my life:D
Hope you'll like it ....I'm not sure salmon would:D

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice Jean Paul, I'm a little concerned that you found those materials in your drawers. (Here in the States that is what they used to call your underwear) Smiling

Dan,

The hook is a #2 Partridge, there is a better example on the Share Patter forum. Check out the Dr. Mummy too, sounds kinda like Halloween.................Mummy?

Last edited:

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ard you would find nice materials to tie salmon flies in the "Folies Bergeres" or Moulin Rouge" dancers' drawers:DLast week a man was arrested in the little town near home....he had stolen 300 ladies' underwear in gardens of the area:eek:
Thanks for helping me to name this fly:it's a Halloween....Grand...Mummy:D

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Here's another version of Anderson's Bird of Prey called the Crosswire Bird of Prey - October Caddis.

That Gadwall wing and the curved body gives it a menacing look.

MP