Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: super simple popper!

Default super simple popper!

Hey guys, I found this fly last night and am embarrassed I didn't come up with the idea my self. I'm referring to the popper down the page, not the punker shrimp.

http://www.lagunamadre.net/flies.htm

I've already got some of those door hangers I found at Michaels and cant wait to tie some up!

I might even do some in tan and yellow as a hopper!
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

2. Default

Cliff, I've fished the VIP popper in both salt and fresh. However, only once in the salt and no fish on it yet. It does cast and pick up well, and has a nice popping action. I've made them from laminated 3 mm foam and from some little closed cell shipping pads found on aluminum windows. However, the cell structure is a little larger than on the other type foam and the surface is a little rougher. These were all white and I just colored them with permanent markers. I'm going to pick up some of the foam door hangers you refer to. It's a simple popper to make, and they seem to be very popular on the Texas coast.

3. Default Re: super simple popper!

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Bryson View Post
    Cliff, I've fished the VIP popper in both salt and fresh. However, only once in the salt and no fish on it yet. It does cast and pick up well, and has a nice popping action. I've made them from laminated 3 mm foam and from some little closed cell shipping pads found on aluminum windows. However, the cell structure is a little larger than on the other type foam and the surface is a little rougher. These were all white and I just colored them with permanent markers. I'm going to pick up some of the foam door hangers you refer to. It's a simple popper to make, and they seem to be very popular on the Texas coast.
    take it one step further....cut a plug cutter from steel line the diameter of your desired head...but use "flip-flop" foam. Bought 10 pair at walmart on clearance last fall, at 25 cents per pair. Saw the tip on the web. Went to a brake service near me and bought a foot of three sizes of steel line. Using a cutter and a file. I cut short plug cutters from the line. Then using the file I sharpen the rims and cut teeth into them to aid in cutting cleanly. I m,ount mine a hobby drill press. Cutting a flipflop out into heads in about 20 minutes or less. (Use coathanger wire to clear pipe if one get stuck inside.)

I have red/white, blue/white, black/green heads.....solid colors in black, white, blue, and green. But I go for the stripe souls and have multicolor heads.

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
    Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"

Default Re: super simple popper!

For cheaper foam sheets, go to the dollar store. For foam sheets of various thickness, buy at the craft store.
    Fly tyer magazine had a great article a year or so ago on gluing the sheets together (use contact cement)and punching out popper bodies. The article also recommended making the plug cutter from pipe (which I did) but you can buy a set with a wide range of sizes from Tandy Leather.
    I found that a leg tying tool works really well for pulling rubber legs thru the popper bodies after melting a hole with a hot bodkin.
    I'd like to turn the foam bodies on my drill so I can sand them to different shapes, but I havent found a way to keep them on the turning shaft.

Cliff, are those poppers flat sided? They kind of look like a variation of Tim Holschlags big head poppers. I glue the craft store foam into thicker blocks for some of my foam patterns. I use rubber cement to glue them together, softer joint where the foam meets, super glue is a hard joint.

Dan

6. Default Re: super simple popper!

Rubber cement or goop works for me.

Need bigger thicker foam?

Try the foam letters sold at Walmart for spelling out kid names on their walls.....letters are about 6" High. Lots of material for foam poppers in the 3/4 " diam. area.
    Cut the "sticks" and turn on a mandrel for solid color poppers. Google "foam poppers" to find innovative ways to cut and turn foam.

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
    Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"

Quote Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
    Cliff, are those poppers flat sided? They kind of look like a variation of Tim Holschlags big head poppers. I glue the craft store foam into thicker blocks for some of my foam patterns. I use rubber cement to glue them together, softer joint where the foam meets, super glue is a hard joint.

Dan
    They are indeed. Makes gluing eyes on nice and easy.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.