Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Default Adult Black Stone-Stimulator

    When I find that there is no caddis or mayfly activity, I go to the black stone sometimes when I know they are, or have been around. They are a little trickier to see hatching, or (maybe just where I fish) and seem to be more sporadic and less hefty hatches. So, I keep some adults in the box and use them as attractor's and just tried a couple of new things with them. Let me know what you think, or if you have any other suggestions or information about the adult stone-stimulator idea.

    The first thing I tried was a foam body, grizzly hackle in 4 places, rubber legs, deer hair wing.




    Then I was looking at a natural, and thought that a mottled turkey quill might make a good wing. I think it looks good, especially from a bottom/side fisheye vew, but I'm afraid that that wing will not hold together and just look ragged after a while.


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    5,392

    Default Re: Adult Black Stone-Stimulator

    Hi ausablebrown,

    It ought to float high in the water with no problem. Take a look at the body on this Kaufmann Black Stimulator. It might give you an idea on streamlining the body a bit.

    Frank

    Kaufmann Black Stimulator

  3. #3

    Default Re: Adult Black Stone-Stimulator

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
    Hi ausablebrown,

    It ought to float high in the water with no problem. Take a look at the body on this Kaufmann Black Stimulator. It might give you an idea on streamlining the body a bit.

    Frank

    Kaufmann Black Stimulator
    I don't mind constructive criticism in the least, but I'm not sure if you were intimating that my pattern was too fluffy and imposing, or if you were just offering an alternative. I've had luck with the larger profile body and all the hackling before. The legs and the mottled turkey quill wing were the experiments this time around.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    5,392

    Default Re: Adult Black Stone-Stimulator

    Just an alternative, thats all.

    Frank

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Western Montana
    Posts
    4,631

    Default Re: Adult Black Stone-Stimulator

    Also, Ausable, I find that any kind of stonefly pattern is better if it rides low in the water, as the naturals do. With a foam body you can get away with eliminating the palmered hackle, or at the least cutting it flat across the bottom.

    Just a suggestion, those are both really nice looking patterns and good ties.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Adult Black Stone-Stimulator

    Quote Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
    Also, Ausable, I find that any kind of stonefly pattern is better if it rides low in the water, as the naturals do. With a foam body you can get away with eliminating the palmered hackle, or at the least cutting it flat across the bottom.

    Just a suggestion, those are both really nice looking patterns and good ties.
    Thanks for the suggestsions guys...like I said, a stonefly (to me) is one that I search with when I don't see alot of other activity. I don't know much about tying/fishing them except as a backup plan, or searching pattern. They are all over my PA streams, but never heavy or the primary "hatch de jour".

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Western Montana
    Posts
    4,631

    Default Re: Adult Black Stone-Stimulator

    Quote Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
    I don't know much about tying/fishing them except as a backup plan, or searching pattern. They are all over my PA streams, but never heavy or the primary "hatch de jour".
    I am the same way. And aside from some of the major stone hatches - the big ones like the Goldens, Salmons and Skwalas - I don't ever consider them a primary hatch. But like you said, they are always around all summer in some shape or size. I think that is why down-wing style flies are such effective searching patterns. I keep a few with full hackles for the riffles and heavy water and then some w/o hackle, or clipped, for flatter water.

    Your's are both really nice looking flies. The hackle tip wing version would be a natural one to eliminate the hackle on and let it ride right in the surface film. Do you have two tips tied in or just one? Two laid back like that would be even more realistic.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Akron Ohio (don't let that fool you)
    Posts
    1,987

    Default Re: Adult Black Stone-Stimulator

    Nice pattern and would do well around here, ironically the other day while out searching for a willing steelhead I felt something crawling in my beard! Low and behold there were three black stones in there! I guess I kicked them up walking through the underbrush, a little gross but I got a kick out of it. Makes me wonder what else has made a home in there!!
    Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Monroe, Michigan
    Posts
    2,584

    Default Re: Adult Black Stone-Stimulator

    Quote Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
    Nice pattern and would do well around here, ironically the other day while out searching for a willing steelhead I felt something crawling in my beard! Low and behold there were three black stones in there! I guess I kicked them up walking through the underbrush, a little gross but I got a kick out of it. Makes me wonder what else has made a home in there!!
    Bill, Better hope they don't find any spotted owls nesting in there...

    Dan

Similar Threads

  1. Caddis adult
    By tob1 in forum Share Patterns
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 04-05-2013, 04:57 PM
  2. My First Attempts at a Black Stone Fly
    By whalensdad in forum Share Patterns
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-03-2011, 09:14 PM
  3. Black and Brown HW Stone Fly
    By FlySlinger in forum Share Patterns
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-31-2010, 07:32 AM
  4. adult midge patterns
    By liv2fish in forum Share Patterns
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-07-2008, 02:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •