Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pine Squirrel Cheaters

Blog Entries

Default Pine Squirrel Cheaters

I tied these with a bit of a twist. Taking a page from Davie McPhail's book I tied them with ultra wire instead of thread. It adds a bit of weight and some attractor qualities to the pattern. Not unlike a cheater/slump buster combination.
    Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.

2. Default Re: Pine Squirrel Cheaters

the olive ones remind me of mepps style , ought to be awesome on smallies. GREAT PIXS

Blog Entries

Default Re: Pine Squirrel Cheaters

Kerry: Very nice work! The Slumpbuster is one of my favorite streamers.

Larry

Blog Entries

Kerry,

Could you please post a close up of one maybe in the vise? I would appreciate if you put the tying recipe up also.

Thanks,

Ard

Blog Entries

sure, I will get a closer picture here this evening.
    Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.

Very interesting idea! I can think of all sorts of reasons why...

Look forward to the close-up and recipe.

Blog Entries

I got the idea of using wire instead of thread, from watching Davie Mcphail and Oliver Edwards do the same with different patterns. I also had wanted to add a little weight without using a beadhead. So take it for what it is worth.I tied it for me, but I hope it works well for anyone else that ties it this way or any other way.

So the only thread on the hook is a single layer I put on to help the wire stay in place. Here I am using orange thread. Keep the layer as tight as you can.

now I use a bobbin threaded with this:

I start it at the back of the hook, leaving 6 or 8 inches of excess sticking out as you can see here. I also run a bead of zap-a-gap along the hook shank before wrapping the wire.

Finish wrapping your wire in a single layer as shown.

Now tie in your soon to be matuka style "wing."

When you pull the wing or strip tight, you can wrap the wire tag you left, to both rib and secure the strip. The excess zap-a-gap will help hold it in place.

Tie in the strip that will become the collar. Some of the strips will have hair that is canted in one direction, if you tie it in by the correct end it will naturally want to form a collar. If not just stroke the fur back with each wrap.

Stroke the collar back and wrap the wire to almost form the head. Just a couple of wraps from completing it, stop and run a small bead of zap-a-gap along the 1/2inch of wire that will finish the head.

At that point you can whip finish the head with three wraps of wire and then snip it or break it off. Give the head a healthy shot of head cement or zap-a-gap

There you have it Ard. As usual I apologize for the quality of my photos, but it was a quick and dirty photo shoot.
    Use any streamer hook. I would say an equivilent to this one would be a Mustad 79580.

Blog Entries

Outstanding Job Kerry!

Now, do I have to go shoot my own squirrels or are you going to tell me someone who markets the poor buggers so I don't have to hear their screams as I try to sleep at night. I'm already haunted by the fish that I kill.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Blog Entries

Looks like Pine Squirrel strips are packaged by Wapsi. Make sure you don't get the fox squirrel. "Can you still hear the silence of the fish Clarice?"

Blog Entries

Yes, yes Dr Lecter I can hear it. I can't make it stop, it won't stop

Thank you Mr. Kerry

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast