Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1

    Default One for Frank { uk amber worm }

    Sorry for the poor quality of pic. , but here we have a lethal uk stillwater pattern.
    Our trout hit these patterns HARD...... varient colours, olive, red and pink are good, black and other somber colours are used but not as effective for us.



    The movement in the water is un-real.


    Body. 6x amber seed beads { glued in }.
    Legs. Amber flexi floss..... 2x front, 4 x centers, 2x rear.
    Hook. Fulling Mill short shank 6. nickel.
    Butt. Red glo-brite floss.

    Fred.
    Last edited by Stillwater angler; 12-26-2009 at 06:33 PM.
    Be happy
    Team England.
    Hardy/Greys.
    Fulling Mill.
    Trout Fisherman.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Pinedale, WY
    Posts
    19,011
    Blog Entries
    50

    Default Re: One for Frank { uk amber worm }

    Fred: You have some real unusual stillwater patterns, I'm going to tie a few up and try on our local lakes next spring! Our water is all frozen at the moment.

    Larry

  3. #3

    Default Re: One for Frank { uk amber worm }

    Hi again Larry !

    Yes my friend i do !!....... and there's a few more ' leggy ' ones to follow when i up-load some pics. I have plenty of ' standard ' stuff but i work on/with flies they have to hit !!............. love the rod ripped out of my hands

    Fred.
    Be happy
    Team England.
    Hardy/Greys.
    Fulling Mill.
    Trout Fisherman.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Merrimac, MA
    Posts
    4,006

    Default Re: One for Frank { uk amber worm }

    Fred,

    Welcome to the forum.

    That amber worm looks like a great fly. I can see how the fish would hit it hard; I suspect a lot of motion from those legs; even on stillwaters, and good reflection off the multiple beads.

    How are you attaching the front and rear legs (middle legs are clear from the pic). Thanks.

    Pocono

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Languedoc/near montpellier
    Posts
    6,679
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: One for Frank { uk amber worm }

    Great fly Fred...I understand why trout get crazy....same for me when I see the Moulin Rouge dancers' legs....I'm afraid I'm going to get another yellow card from Ard and Frank

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Merrimac, MA
    Posts
    4,006

    Default Re: One for Frank { uk amber worm }

    Quote Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
    Great fly Fred...I understand why trout get crazy....same for me when I see the Moulin Rouge dancers' legs....I'm afraid I'm going to get another yellow card from Ard and Frank
    J-P, when in Paris, I'd rather spend an evening at Crazy Horse, than a week at either the Moulin Rouge or the Lido! No yellow card from me; just some cultural acceptability differences between countries; all part of the mix as far as I'm concerned.

  7. #7

    Default Re: One for Frank { uk amber worm }

    Quote Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
    Fred,


    How are you attaching the front and rear legs (middle legs are clear from the pic). Thanks.

    Pocono
    Hi Pocono,

    Take 2x approx. 3inch lengths of flexi-floss, simply feed them through the seed beads, { all the beads can be looped onto the flexi-floss in one go, say via a small bit of wire etc } then slip over the hook point and run bead up to hook eye. I like to just feed one on at a time and superglue it in place. Just a point with the center legs, leave a gap after your third bead to place the first center leg over the hook shank with an overhand knot, place a dot of glue { i use cocktail sticks } to the downside of the knot, then gently secure via fouth bead. Finish fly then go back to center leg by adding another strand of flexi floss, again using over hand knot. Add a dot of super glue on top of knot to secure. Leave to dry, place hook in vice, hold all legs up together, then cut, should leave all legs level.

    Fred.
    Be happy
    Team England.
    Hardy/Greys.
    Fulling Mill.
    Trout Fisherman.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Languedoc/near montpellier
    Posts
    6,679
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: One for Frank { uk amber worm }

    Quote Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
    J-P, when in Paris, I'd rather spend an evening at Crazy Horse, than a week at either the Moulin Rouge or the Lido! No yellow card from me; just some cultural acceptability differences between countries; all part of the mix as far as I'm concerned.

    I daren't mention the C.H and othersFrank and Ard sometimes tell me I'm naughty....but I think they love it

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Merrimac, MA
    Posts
    4,006

    Default Re: One for Frank { uk amber worm }

    Quote Originally Posted by Stillwater angler View Post
    Hi Pocono,

    Take 2x approx. 3inch lengths of flexi-floss, simply feed them through the seed beads, { all the beads can be looped onto the flexi-floss in one go, say via a small bit of wire etc } then slip over the hook point and run bead up to hook eye. I like to just feed one on at a time and superglue it in place. Just a point with the center legs, leave a gap after your third bead to place the first center leg over the hook shank with an overhand knot, place a dot of glue { i use cocktail sticks } to the downside of the knot, then gently secure via fouth bead. Finish fly then go back to center leg by adding another strand of flexi floss, again using over hand knot. Add a dot of super glue on top of knot to secure. Leave to dry, place hook in vice, hold all legs up together, then cut, should leave all legs level.

    Fred.
    Thanks Fred. That's a big help. I'm definitely going to give that pattern a try. One more question - where do you get the amber beads?

    Pocono

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Monroe, Michigan
    Posts
    2,584

    Default Re: One for Frank { uk amber worm }

    Pocono, check out your local craft store, look for 6/0 japanese beads...

    Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Wax Worm Imitation
    By Tracker12 in forum Flies
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-22-2009, 04:12 PM
  2. Strung Out San Juan Worm
    By kdh199 in forum Flies
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-27-2008, 05:28 PM
  3. Eel worm pattern help
    By mjg710a in forum General Fly Tying Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-24-2008, 10:23 AM
  4. Worm Pattern
    By fshfanatic in forum Share Patterns
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-07-2007, 08:39 PM
  5. SJ Worm for Bass fishing....?
    By STARMedic in forum Warmwater Fly Fishing
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-04-2007, 12:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •