Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shrimp flies

Blog Entries

Default Shrimp flies

This past week I went to Micheal's and picked up some Rexlace. It's pretty much flat vinyl ribbing. They were a dollar each for about 10 yds, not sure if it's cheaper than buying vinyl rib from a fly shop but i like the colors and got them anyway. I got two colors clear with silver flake and a clear pink. I also went to kmart and got gold and metallic blue tinsel for 75 cents which was pretty cool. I tied up these flies with bucktail but want another material with more action, im guessing rabbit fur or something like it? Any suggestions from you all out there?

Default Re: Shrimp flies

I tied up these flies with bucktail but want another material with more action, im guessing rabbit fur or something like it? Any suggestions from you all out there?
    The traditional material is kip (calf tail) but I use craft fur.... something else that you may be able to find at Micheal's.
    Craft fur is a great material for all kinds of SW flies. My favorite synthetic.

Good tip on the Rexlace. I'll check it out.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

I don't always fly fish but when I do I prefer salt water. Stay salty my freinds

Nice looking flies...The craft stores can provide some very intersting materials...Is the Rex Lace anything like Jelly Cord? For movement have you considered marabou?

Dan

Blog Entries

Riptide- I didn't see any craft fur in Micheal's at all... would they have it where all the feathers and chenille are at?

Jimw- Do you notice when you fish the shrimp unweighted if it sinks slowly? Looks interesting i'll give it a try when I pick up epoxy this weekend.

Dan- I looked up jelly cord and it looks a lot like rexlace. I think rexlace is probably stiffer than jelly cord, it's soft enough to hold thread wraps well though. I was thinking of marabou but wasn't sure, it shouldn't fool up the hook if its short enough right?

Good looking flies there. I frequently tie flies similar to that for redfish with a wing made of nothing but Krystal Flash. Trim it into a pear shape and you've got something approximating a spoon fly that's much easier to tie, lighter to cast, and hits the water more delicately as well.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

VS
    to get the ultra fly to sink slow use a thin wire hook and when you palmer the hackle around the shank use more wraps. wrap the hackle as tight together as you can it will make it fuller and slow down the sink rate. I sometimes tie the same fly but upside down with small lead eyes so it rides hook point up just like a clouser.
    Jim
    I don't always fly fish but when I do I prefer salt water. Stay salty my freinds

Blog Entries

Jimw- when you tie the hook point up does the epoxy ever cause missed hookups?

Bigcliff- Never thought of using krystal flash for the wing. I could use it for "darker" water or cloudy days right? What color flash should I use white maybe?

Around here , a good percentage of anglers use the General Practitioner salmon fly (commonly just called a GP) as a shrimp imitation in the salt.
    A little too flashy for me. Mine look more like a scud
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Quote Originally Posted by vsyogi View Post
    Bigcliff- Never thought of using krystal flash for the wing. I could use it for "darker" water or cloudy days right? What color flash should I use white maybe?
    I use them in very bright conditions with great success. I tend to use gold or copper for reds. Here's three versions: BC eyes and spanflex legs (caught my first ever black drum), BC eyes, and unweighted-

Our redfish are generally not run off by bright flashy flies, and in fact possibly the most productive is this amazingly flashy thing-
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast