Pitcher Classic Trout Dressing

ferg

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I have been reading a book called 'Fishing In Wonderland' and the author talks about a dressing he developed for using in the Yellowstone National Park called the 'Pitcher'. This was so called after the superintendant of the park in the late 19th century called John Pitcher, who was responsible for restoring the fish stocks to the park.
There is a written description, but no picture. I was wondering if anyone still uses this dressing, described as the ultimate trout dressing?
Im keen to have a go a tying a couple to try on my local river in Scotland, maybe tweek it with some modern materials.
I would really appreciate some help, pictures would be grand!

Cheers,

Fergus :D

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Ferg-

Welcome to the forum, hopefully some of our Western guys will, chime in here-- I'm sure someone will know it.

All I could find is probably the same thing you were looking at (fishing in paradise), and a discussion of the article rip tide mentioned without any picture or listing of the recipe.

Couldn't find a listing for the body material/color, but I bet it will fish well for you across the pond--- it seems similar to many of your Loch flies.

Major Pitcher (wet fly)

Tail: Barred wood duck
Body: ????
Hackle: Furnace hackle, palmered over body
Wing: White quill slip

ferg

Reaction score
Apparently there's an article with photos in the Winter 2002 issue of Fly Tyer
I dont suppose you happen to have it? I dont think we get that magazine over here

:confused:

---------- Post added at 06:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

Cheers Mark, will have a bash at that. Im just new to this game, so trying to read as much as I can, hopefully catch some fish this season!

Tight Lines