A couple black ants

simmons_j_m

Reaction score
I'll preface it with this: beginner tyer... this is my second fly and I see a few mistakes (butt too small on first ant as one)... I'm posting up these picks because I'd like to get some feedback on how I might improve the fly... working out of a couple books right now, but mostly went with what I expect an ant to look like here...

First Ant with a few mistakes - hook sz. 12, black thread, grizzly hackle

Second Ant a little better - same as above

Thanks for any feedback...

- Justin

ChrisinselwynNZ

Reaction score
They are better than the ants I tryed when I started:)
Try dubbing the body and dont tie around the bend of the of the hook so far.
The body looks good shape wise try a smaller hackle that way it will float better
for the head try 2 turns and whip finnish (if you dont whip finnish 2-3 half hitches with super glue are fine)

over all they are good for your second flies:D

Chris

simmons_j_m

Reaction score
Thanks Chris for the tips... I thought I went a little too much into the bend of the hook. What's the advantage to dubbing the body? Less material? Can I trim the hackle or should I just use a smaller feather? I'll give em another go and see what I come up with... thanks again.

- Justin

Last edited:

ChrisinselwynNZ

Reaction score
Dubbing the body will use less thread, look better and can help with floating

Using the smaller feather is better than cutting floating hackle

Chris

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
Looking good for your first ants. As Chris said try tying some with dubbing, they'll float better then the thread bodies. Go with a smaller hackle. You may want to try some foam or deer hair for different versions of your ants...Keep at it you're doing very good...

Dan

simmons_j_m

Reaction score
Thanks guys for the encouraging words... I went ahead and tried a dubbed body and shortened up the hackle... let me know what you think.

sz 12, black dubbing body, grizzly hackle.

sz 12, black dubbing body, med. krystal brown hackle

I'm hoping these things fish well... I got an idea on a nice little section of river for em!

- Justin

ChrisinselwynNZ

Reaction score
Great improvement those will float very well and still have a good shape should catch a fish too
Do you have finer dubbing?
The hackle size is much better

Chris

simmons_j_m

Reaction score
Great improvement those will float very well and still have a good shape should catch a fish too
Do you have finer dubbing?
The hackle size is much better

Chris
Thanks Chris. I was given all my supplies by a friend who quit tying, so that is the only black dubbing I have. There are different degrees of fineness? I haven't looked at materials in the shop too much, but I'll keep my eye out for finer material. Thanks for the heads up.

ChrisinselwynNZ

Reaction score
Thanks Chris. I was given all my supplies by a friend who quit tying, so that is the only black dubbing I have. There are different degrees of fineness? I haven't looked at materials in the shop too much, but I'll keep my eye out for finer material. Thanks for the heads up.
Justin Ill pm some pics to you of the basics for dubbing materials not all materials you need too buy :D

Check the fly tying Faq Fly Tying FAQ - The North American Fly Fishing Forum

and peregrines stickey http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-fly-tying-discussions/7929-fly-tying-tips-sticky.html check this one first

Theres some good info there

Chris

Last edited:

simmons_j_m

Reaction score
Here is the evolution of the ant... moved to a foam body on a sz 14 hook. I found this pattern online and it is very simple and now I'm just trying to get the proportions right. The legs are made from a hair brush... I think I'm going to find something a little less stiff... and yes, I did forget to put the antennas on so the next one will come complete instead of slightly deformed... :D

Any feedback is welcomed... :rain:

Thanks.

- Justin

Jackster

Reaction score
I would also keep a batch of those thread ants with you. Sometimes a sunken ant is just the ticket! :thumbsup:
If you decide to have a few more in your box, try smaller, sparser hackle. It will help them sink or at least get under the surface film.

On the floaters, trim the hackle on top and put a whitish, layed back wing on a few. Flying ants too are sometimes just the ticket!

Jimmie

Reaction score
A black ant is the ticket late summer in the Sierras. One of the veterans at our FF Club was explaining some type, or extra acid (???) in ants that the trout love. All I know is they have saved the day for me when nothing else worked.

simmons_j_m

Reaction score
Justin the foam ant looks very good...Try some rubber or silicone legs on it, I think you will like the result.

Dan

Thanks for the compliment Dan. I went ahead and tied a few with rubber legs, but the bodies were all deformed... back to the drawing board. I'll post up the improved pics once I get some that are improved.

I would also keep a batch of those thread ants with you. Sometimes a sunken ant is just the ticket! :thumbsup:
If you decide to have a few more in your box, try smaller, sparser hackle. It will help them sink or at least get under the surface film.

On the floaters, trim the hackle on top and put a whitish, layed back wing on a few. Flying ants too are sometimes just the ticket!
Jack, I'll do that... maybe a little antron/ propylene wing? I haven't seen too many flying ants around here, but it may provide some good visibility for me at least.

A black ant is the ticket late summer in the Sierras. One of the veterans at our FF Club was explaining some type, or extra acid (???) in ants that the trout love. All I know is they have saved the day for me when nothing else worked.
That's where I'll be fishing :D There's a section on one of my home rivers that I think these little ants will shine! Or at least I hope :confused:

- Justin

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
Here is the evolution of the ant... moved to a and yes, I did forget to put the antennas on so the next one will come complete instead of slightly deformed... :D

Any feedback is welcomed... :rain:

Thanks.

- Justin
Didn't notice the lack of antennae, and neither will the fish...Keep your flies simple; no need to add an extra step, unless you decide you want to...You're doing great...

Dan

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good job Justin,I had missed this thread and was going to advise you to use some foam...you can mix your two patterns by using foam and a black hackle...it'll float even better;)