Little Black Stonefly

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Here is a little black stonefly that I have had good success with in the past, but instead of tying it with the normal TMC hook, thanks to Kerry I obtained some Partridge Draper flat bodied hooks and now I have a really flat look like a real stonefly. Just in case you missed his post about these Draper hooks here is the link:
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/share-patterns/12522-draper-stone.html

[TABLE="head]{colsp=2}
The Little Black Stonefly​

The Little Black Stonefly |

Hook | Partridge Draper H3ST size 14
Head | Black/Purple dubbing
Thread | Black 6/0
Body | Black ultra wire
Wing | Black dyed pheasant tail
Thorax | Black Polar Bear Dubbing
Wing Case | Black Thin Skin/Hard as Nails
Tail | Black Goose Biots

[/TABLE]

Larry

Kerry Pitt

Reaction score
Larry, nice job! I like the wire wrapped body! I will have a shot at copying it for the areas I fish up here. Hope you do not mind. I never really thought of the ultra wire body! Well done!:)

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Kerry

I don't mind at all, I have used a similiar pattern in the past and it worked well, but I really like the looks of the Draper hook gives the pattern. In the past I used black swiss straw for the wing case, but I couldn't find where I had placed it so I subsituted the thin skin and hard as nails covering. Be sure to post your version, I would like to see what you do with it.

Larry

Jimmie

Reaction score
Nice fly Larry. Mighty nice of Kerry to fix you up. I copied his Golden Stone from the link that you posted above. He spent a lot of time helping me via PM's.
How do you guys get those biots so perfect?

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Nice fly Larry. Mighty nice of Kerry to fix you up. I copied his Golden Stone from the link that you posted above. He spent a lot of time helping me via PM's.
How do you guys get those biots so perfect?
Jimmie: Thanks for the kind words! The goose biot tail is actually pretty easy, what I did after laying a base of thread down was create a small ball of thread right at the hook end and then layed the biot on each side and tied them in individually. The small ball of thread is what make the biot layout in a V.

Larry

Jimmie

Reaction score
Jimmie: Thanks for the kind words! The goose biot tail is actually pretty easy, what I did after laying a base of thread down was create a small ball of thread right at the hook end and then layed the biot on each side and tied them in individually. The small ball of thread is what make the biot layout in a V.

Larry
I love this place. OK, a ball of thread it is from now on. Thanks Larry.

futuramille

Reaction score
Great looking nymph Larry. I'm going to have to get me some "thin skin"...

the steady and smooth graduation of the underbody and wrap of the wire is really great work.

thanks for sharing and please keep doing so. Your an inspiration!