For your review (please be critical)

dorian.ducker

Reaction score
I've never showed anybody my flies before so I am anxious to see what so many great tiers on this forum think of mine. Please be critical, I put them on here so I can get better with your help!

I uploaded a bunch more pics of flies to an album and if I get some response on this thread, I'll load another one up!

The last fly is what I call a micro may. They are very small (18 and smaller) flies that I tie real heavy and slim to get down fast. I usually incorporate some type of hotspot in them and use them for czech style nymphing, the collars are usually cdc dubbing. I have good success with them. Inspired by Loren Williams.

simmons_j_m

Reaction score
They look pretty good to me DD... thanks for posting up your pics, it helps begginning tyers, like myself, to have something to shoot for.

- Justin

dorian.ducker

Reaction score
Thanks Justin! You'll be a great tier in no time if you stick at it. I really still consider myself a beginner too. I've only been tying for a year and a half or so, but I do have the advantage of a lot of great tiers I can learn from real close to me. Every Sat. morning during the winter my local fly shop has a tying demo where famous regional tyers tie for a few hours. It is very hands on and I have learned a ton from that.

simmons_j_m

Reaction score
That's awesome DD... I'm gonna attempt to get to FF club that does tying workshops here in town. Problem is I can't get into the club meetings due to prior arrangments. Trying to teach myself has it's disadvantages, but it's nice to be able to do in the comfort of my living room while watching some Olympics hockey...

How often do you tie? I'm assuming it gets easier as the weeks go by with practice and learning how to manipulate materials...

BTW, what is that second fly? Looks to be near (a rung or two up) my level.

- Justin

Last edited:

dorian.ducker

Reaction score
Oh, in the winter I tie in streaks. I might tie for a week straight, a dozen or so a day. I tie once the kids are in bed so I never get started till late at night. But then I might not tie for a few weeks. Sometimes I have a hard time getting motivated to tie, other times I can't stop!

The second pattern is a pretty traditional pattern called a March Brown Spider (I believe...), basically you use orange thread, hare's ear for the body, you can rib with either the tag end of the orange thread itself or a wire (I used the wire), tie in a soft hackle and finish with an orange head. In my opinion it is one of the greatest searching patterns. I've caught a few fish with those I'll tie one on with confidence if I can't figure out the bug situation. You should try some, you'll enjoy tying them!

simmons_j_m

Reaction score
The second pattern is a pretty traditional pattern called a March Brown Spider (I believe...), basically you use orange thread, hare's ear for the body, you can rib with either the tag end of the orange thread itself or a wire (I used the wire), tie in a soft hackle and finish with an orange head. In my opinion it is one of the greatest searching patterns. I've caught a few fish with those I'll tie one on with confidence if I can't figure out the bug situation. You should try some, you'll enjoy tying them!
Is the soft hackle partridge? I'll pick some up next time I'm at the shop. Did you tie it on a standard nymph hook?

Thanks for your help.

- Justin

dorian.ducker

Reaction score
Yep standard nymph hook. For the hackle I actually used Whiting Brahma Hen. It is an excellent partridge substitute and very easy to work with, very affordable also. Tie them in sizes 12-16.

sandfly

Reaction score
the bee could use a little work, area where you tie in wing and the head is bunched, hard to tie a tippet to.
The soft hackle is very nice, could start back on hook shank a wee bit more (over top of barb) other wise very nice.
The midge looks good except for the tail, too long shorten it by 2/3, midges have almost no tail and most times not just an appendage or gills there.

dorian.ducker

Reaction score
the bee could use a little work, area where you tie in wing and the head is bunched, hard to tie a tippet to.
The soft hackle is very nice, could start back on hook shank a wee bit more (over top of barb) other wise very nice.
The midge looks good except for the tail, too long shorten it by 2/3, midges have almost no tail and most times not just an appendage or gills there.
Thanks Sandfly, I appreciate your input. The last fly that you were critiquing as a midge is actually a very small mayfly nymph, thus the tails and soft hackle collar. Easy mistake though especially in that small of a size, and if the fish take it for a midge, I'm still willing to catch them!!!

BigCliff

Reaction score
They're very good ties for a beginner, and easily better than my early attempts at small stuff. You asked for critiques, so I'll offer what little there is to cite.

On the bee- to me that middle section looks like an ideal spot for a few wraps of black dry fly hackle. Personally, I'd do that and skip the (deer hair?) legs up front, cuz its likely easier and will aid with flotation as well. The wing looks to be a combo of some sort of dubbing and a few strands of midge flash. I've attempted wings on foam flies with dubbing like that, and they frequently get water logged and cause the thing to flop over onto its side, so I'd recommend just using the flash. Also, you might want some sort of bright indicator on such a dark fly. A tiny square of white foam added to the head via a tiny dot of superglue would achieve that.

All that said, if it works, stick with it.

On the soft hackle, the only issue I see is that you've got more guard hairs sticking out of the rear of the body than the front. Both juvenile caddis and mayflies would have their legs sticking out of the front of the body, and a smoother abdomen, so you might trim the hairs towards the bend and pick some out at the front.

On the micro may, I'd stick a bigger bead on it, and use a different dubbing. The air trapping nature of cdc means that it cancels out some of the weight you're adding to it to get it down. Straight antron dubbing would be my pick.

Jimmie

Reaction score
Hey Duck. I've got no advice but it seems that your getting some really good input. I just jumped on to say that we've been tying about the same length of time and I'd be proud to put those flies in my fly box. Nice. May have to tie up some of those March Browns.

mojo

Reaction score
Just remember, pretty flies catch fishermen, ugly flies catch fish.
Ever noticed the more beat up the fly is the more fish you catch until it's just a thread, feather and hook?

FrankB2

Reaction score
Just remember, pretty flies catch fishermen, ugly flies catch fish.
Ever noticed the more beat up the fly is the more fish you catch until it's just a thread, feather and hook?
Hey! That's exactly what I was going to post. :D Those flies will catch fish,
no problem. If you want to show them off as works of tying art, they could
use some tweaking....maybe. ;) I suppose the bee would look nicer with a
better foward section. Pull the front and rear halves closer together, or
something. I don't think the fish will give a hoot, however.