This is my Adams

webrx

Reaction score
flyslinger, Ill take a dozen :)

Nicely done I wish mine came out that nice.

d

axle27

Reaction score
Nice tie.

For some reason, I thought I would open this up and it would say, "This is my Adams. There are many like it, but this one is mine." Obscure movie reference.

grenadier

Reaction score
nice fly sir, but not a true adams sorry to say, but looks good with good form and shape, maybe a shorter shank hook and finish closer to the eye and a bit more pronounced in the body shape, keep up the good work though.:D

axle27

Reaction score
I thought that this was going to be followed up with

"there are many like it, but this one is mine."

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
nice fly sir, but not a true adams sorry to say, but looks good with good form and shape, maybe a shorter shank hook and finish closer to the eye and a bit more pronounced in the body shape, keep up the good work though.:D
grenadier- welcome to the forum. Looking forward to a new thread with examples of your flies since you obviously tie. Not sure what your definition of "a true Adams" is, (not that fly Slinger represented it as any thing but his version) but I would suggest most of us know the Adams in its modern incarnation, rather than it's original incarnation as a delta wing caddis tie if that's what you're referring to.

I would venture to say that most of us think of an Adams with its modern dressing as Fly Slinger tied it:

std dry fly hook
mixed grizz and brown hackle collar and tail
dubbed muskrat body
upright grizz hackle tip wings

Fly Slinger, your fly is very well proportioned with a nice taper to the body, and well tied. Excellent job.

grenadier

Reaction score
ms" most of us know the Adams in its modern incarnation, rather than it's original incarnation as a delta wing caddis tie if that's what you're referring to.

I would venture to say that most of us think of an Adams with its modern dressing as Fly Slinger tied it:

std dry fly hook
mixed grizz and brown hackle collar and tail
dubbed muskrat body
upright grizz hackle tip wings
QUOTE]

Thank you for the :welcome:, but my observations are on the wording of "my Adams" if we are to be politically correct it should have been "this is a variation of my Adams" as i see so many times on all these type of forums my grey wolf, my wickams fancy etc, etc and it is without a doubt a variation of the true versions of the fly/flies as an Adams is an Adams, a sawyers ptn is a sawyers ptn etc, etc.
His fly is, of course, a lovely looking fly pattern and pretty well tied, but as you may not know the original 'Adams' was used to represent a spinner/ dun of the Mayfly species after it had struggled from its nymphal shuck.

original tying is;
Hook -10-20
Thread - Black
Tail - brown & grizle cock hackle fibres
Body - GREY fur
Wing - two grizzle hackle points tied upright
Hackle - brown & grizzle cock hackles

I, however, have tied a variation of an emerging Adams which i used on many of our small brooks and streams to great effect when all else failed as the Adams can (in very small versions) represent a number of light bodied insects on the water and fool many a weiry old trout, as, unlike yourselves, our insect life on rivers/ brooks/ streams is quite small with the exception of the Mayfly and so many of our dry fly patterns generally start at a size 12/14 up to 22's in some cases.
:thumbsup:bj