Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Dette Style Coffin Fly Simply amazed me

I'd love to see a step-by-step for this fly. I have heard of them over the years but never knew of anyone who tied them. Thanks for sharing, that is a very nice fly.
    Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.

Hi Everyone,

I had never heard of Mary Dette but she is an accomplished tier. Being a West Coast guy may be why I never heard of her. Here is a short video showing her tying a fly. No fancy rotary vise or bobbin for her. Interesting to watch her tie. Take a look here.

Frank

Blog Entries

That's a pretty fly indeedthanks for the link Frank...this granny is a master!

Nice fly, Fly Slinger!

Thanks for that video, Frank. I though maybe she had a tiny spool in that
    clamp/bobbin looking thingy, but it looks like she simply had a length of thread
    clamped on. Not a fancy rotary vise, but it looks like a DynaKing Pro (which
    I want).

Quote Originally Posted by FlySlinger View Post
    ....Much more different than most modern catskill tyers are trying to shove done our throats.....Why??

FlySlinger
    Do you really mean to say this? Are there really modern Catskill tyers who are tying to shove anything down anyone's throats?

If you're referring to the standard Catskill dimensions for dry flies, in relation to your comment on the Dette style of tying (you're right, the Dette style is widely admired), then I'm sure that you know that they're an historical guide and nothiing more; not a rule, not a dictum, not a culturally defined fishing norm.

FYI - the below is a pretty good group of people; I know several of them and am always happy to tie flies with then whenever the occasion arises.

Catskill Fly Tyers Guild

I use Coffin flies in the early Summer out here in the Poconos and they're even more popular when you start moving West into central and western PA. Under the right conditions, it's a very effective pattern for both Browns and Rainbows.

That's a nice tie in your first post.

Pocono

No I am not talking about the Fly Tyers Guild....I am talking about the Group of Tyers that make there Catskill Drys that make there Hackle so week... three or four wraps of hackle .......That they wouldn't be able to Hold there selves up in the slightest bet of Chop....I Do favor the Dette Style of Hackleling a more robust Approach of hackling and I believe just a slight bet of over sizing....Have you seen a Dette Dry I will see if I can see if I can get you a link......I would like for you to notice the oversize of the Hackle and the oversize of the Wing Mary Dette flies

Thank you

FlySlinger
    In our family, there is no clear line between religion and fly fishing" Norman Maclean

OK, I understand. I over-hackle my dries, for the reasons that you mention, plus the fact that I simply like the looks of the flies better with a denser hackle and a larger fiber.

You might also want to check out the flies of Art Flick; long known for his over-hackling of dries.

Pocono

I was taught by Flick, Dette's, and Darbee. Along with Schreibert and when you hackled a fly it was 3 turns behind and 2 in front of the wing. no more no less. the only exception was the Quill gordon, it was tied slightly less 2 and 2 turns. Can't remember why but thats how it was done in the day. Ernie you had to have a lot of dress pins for tying nymphs no lead.
    sandfly/ bob
    (www.bigmeadowsflyshop.com)
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing Gillie..

Hi Guys, I must have been taught in a different School 1. you always tie more hackle in the Front....I tie 3 Wraps in the Back and 3-5 wraps in the Front...That keeps the fly from falling on its nose....and it works.....I like a little Fuller hackle....I have a Quill Gorden...I will post that that has a little Fuller hackle.....you may like or dislike...

In our family, there is no clear line between religion and fly fishing" Norman Maclean

I like! Great job on the quill body, too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast