Killer bug

tob1

Reaction score
Find some old yarn for F.Sawyers Killer Bug.
The fly is on a #14 hook.
The fly is wet on the picture with a mix from yarn colors 222 and 453.

Some off the yarn I got from a friend last week.

T;)

ausablebrown

Reaction score
Looks like trout food to me! 85% of a trouts diet is 3/8" long and fuzzy...that fits the bill.

Pocono

Reaction score
Buggy looking for sure, Trygve. Nice pattern and good to see you back on the forum. Your flies are always very special.

Pocono

tob1

Reaction score
Thank you friends :)

Here is a very nice video with Davie McPhail - showing how to tie the fly

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt61pj90nU8]YouTube - Tying Frank Sawyer's Killer Bug with Davie McPhail[/ame]

Trygve;)

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hello Trygve,

It's always interesting to see what you are up to with your fly tying. This reminds me of the very plain hares' ear fly I began nymph fishing with. When I wanted colors that the hares mask could not produce I used wool to make them. The finished products were very effective.

As I improved fly tying skills I started making very realistic stone and may fly nymphs. These had legs, tails, wing cases, and were really impressive to see clamped in the vise. Funny thing though, the realistic patterns when drifted in the riffles of my trout streams did not work any better and sometimes not as well as flies like you are showing me here. I would say that what you are showing is a very good nymph, grub, or scud imitation depending on size and color.

Good to see you back, keep the flies coming.