Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Classic New Zealand Streamers

Default Re: Classic New Zealand Streamers

Great color combination on the Gold Demon, Chris. I keep going back to that fly. I like the length of the tail and it's fullness. It works very well with the length of the throat. A very "balanced" fly that looks like it would swim well.

I'm following along in the book that you recommended. According to my version, there are 38 Taupo/Rotorua flies on plate 1, 40 Canterbury flies on plate 2; as well as 71 wets on plate 3 and 51 dries on plate 4. So, you still have some running room! - which is good news for all of us that are enjoying these really nice patterns that you're tying up and sharing.

Pocono

The Brunton #2

Hook- 2-8
    Rib- Silver
    Body- White Floss
    Wing- Ginger
    Throat- Ginger
    Topping- Peacock Sword
    Head- Black

This fly was the design of Lou Brunton for the selwyn mouth and is part of a serries of smelt flies tyed by Brunton (this was tyed for the swap).

The Hairy Dog

Tail- Spanniel Hair Black
    Rib- Flat Silver
    Body- Red Wool or Mohair
    Wing- Spanniel Hair Black
    Throat- Black Cock
    Head Black

This fly was created by a few men at the pub one night when they harvested some hair off a spanniel and decided too make a fly from it this is a very good night fly (from the 1930s) and is still widely used today, the dog hair can be subistuted with squirrel tail but I have found possum tail too be the best (this one is tied as a little somthing extra for the swap)

Chris
    Last edited by ChrisinselwynNZ; 01-18-2015 at 08:11 PM. Reason: fixing picture links

The Christie

Hook- 2-6
    Rib- Silver
    Body- Red Wool or Mohair
    Wing- Ginger
    Collar- Black
    Head- Black

The first tyer R. Christie, this is a cantebury fly that was once popular, more than 50 years ago

Chris
    Last edited by ChrisinselwynNZ; 01-18-2015 at 08:12 PM. Reason: fixing picture links
    "the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD

Blog Entries

Chris: Nice looking streamer! I was headed out to do some streamer fishing this weekend and got side tracked by the wife, maybe I will get to try out some of your great looking streamers next weekend.

Larry

Blog Entries

Nice streamer Chris...experience always wins the day

Blog Entries

Very fishy looking tie Chris, nice work.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Thanks guys

Larry I was suposed too get out fishing this week end just been but it has rained all week end so Ill have too try for next weekend (I was planing on trying the still water stuff)

Chris
    "the fight is for habitait. Once its continuation is assured the fish will largely look after themselves." KD

The Orange Witch

Hook 4-8
    Tail- Black squrrel
    Body- Orange wool
    Cheeks- Chuckar Partridge
    Head- Black

Tied killer style

1, tie the tail and body on, (slim is better)

2, choose 2 feathers that match well like the two I am holding

3, tie the feathers on one at a time ( the trick is to use as few feathers as possable and have them touching all the way around so no body is showing and as little hook as possable this is what makes a well tied killer such a hand full and on some patterns you will need as many as 22 feathers)

4, form a small head and whip finish ( chuckar is the best feather I have used because it is dish shaped and just falls into place it is flat feathers that are hard)

The finished fly

This is a fly that is fished evening, night, and first thing in the morning, one angler in the 1960's is said too have taken 58 fish in 8 trips with this fly from the Ellesmere rivers , and will even work well on land locked salmon.

Lords Lure

Original tyer Frank Lord

Hook 4-8
    Tail- Black squrrel
    Body- Red or Yellow wool
    Cheeks- wood cock plumiage (ginger feathers are best but buff will do) tied killer
    Head- Black

This one took 22 feathers

Leslies lure

Hook- 4-8
    Tail- A Bunch of Pheasant Tail Fibers
    Body- Red or Yellow Wool
    Cheeks- Hen Pheasant flank or wing covets tied killer 2 to a side
    Head- Black

Ill get the story that goes with each when I get home and post them next time I can

Chris
    Last edited by ChrisinselwynNZ; 01-18-2015 at 08:18 PM. Reason: fixing picture links

Chris, very nice flies!

When you say "tied killer"; are you referring to the vertical matched feathers on both sides of the hook or to the fact that you're tying in two to a side for each pair that you apply?

These patterns are very similar to some ideas that I got by tying up a bunch of flatwing patterns for Striped Bass. It's the same idea; just turned 90 degrees on the hook.

My favorites are the Orange Witch and the Leslie's Lure; both of which I'll bet would look equally nice with Jungle Cock eyes.

Pocono

When you say "tied killer"; are you referring to the vertical matched feathers on both sides of the hook or to the fact that you're tying in two to a side for each pair that you apply?

This means tied in an oval shape with as many feathers as you need to achieve this ( and vertical)

I think that most of the killer flies would look best with jc nails I think that jc was not used when they were devaloped ( around the 1920's-30's)

Chris

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast