Gray Fox Mayfly

bobbyc21fish

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I wanted to try and tie something different today so I decided to tie a gray fox. Tell me what you think.

[ame]http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/bobbyc21/DSCN0512.jpg[/ame]

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Bobby,

Looks good to me! I used to fish Big Pine Creek in North Central PA. and we had Gray Fox, March Brown, and Brown Drake all come at once in the area sometimes (overlapping hatches) I used the fly you are showing for everything simply by varying the shade of the dubbing on the body.

Looks like a fish catcher to me, where are you going to fish with them?

Ard

bobbyc21fish

Reaction score
Hi Ard, I am going to be fishing the South Branch of the Raritan River in NJ. It is located in the north west part of the state near PA and it is a very beautiful . The gray fox here also hatches with man other mayflies around late may into june.

Bobby

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Very nice job- the gray fox is one of my favorite hatches and you and Ard are exactly right -- it always seemed like there's a ton of stuff hatching along with it, either overlapping with march browns and the last of the hendricksons in early may or sulphurs and green drakes in early june

BTW the Hendricksons should be going on strong now...

bobbyc21fish

Reaction score
Hi Mark,
I got out to the stream last weekend and there was a pretty good Hendrickson hatch. I lost a few fish and caught one. It was a very nice day on the water over all.

Bobby