Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Gierach Special

Default Gierach Special

I bet this will be a good fly, especially for trout. I tied this on an R75 Mustad size 4 hook. I am not quite sure if the krystal flash should be above, or below the squirrel wing though.
    As long as I get a bite, I don't want to leave!

Default Re: Gierach Special

You tied a nice looking fly. Just my 2 cents, but I'd keep the flash right where you have it under the squirrel. Sort of highlights a lateral line area. I like those eyes a lot.

Thanks. You are the second person so far to say that about the flash placement. A friend said you could split the squirrel wing, and put it in the middle. But I don't think I want to do that now that I think about it. If you do that, the bars may not align back up right in the wing. Squirrel tail is a little tricky to tie in, it wants to slip and move on you. My peacock herl was broken in about 3 out of 5 herl pieces. I didn't notice that either, but he did....lol. I have some cruddy strung herl, that is for sure. I have never found good herl in a bag. Anyway, I am glad you like the head. It is much easier than painting the head. Sometimes I do that, but not that often anymore. I love those reflective stick on eyes. I have been using a lot of them lately.

Blog Entries

Kelly: Great looking fly! I agree with Jimmie.

Larry
    Larry

Gierach Special

Here is a photo I was alerted on after I made this fly. This has the instructions. The flash is above the squirrel tail wouldn't you know. I searched all over for another recipe, and picture, but could not find one. The other picture I saw no flash. (even though I knew it was there) This photo is really good. The fly is a beauty. I think I will make some more of these today.