Leeches

kelkay

Reaction score
I call this Bad Hair Day Leech

Marabou tail. Simi Seal Dub in Blood Leech color mixed with Hareline Ice Dub in Chocolate Brown. Dai-Riki 710 hook size 6. This one has a wire rib. Ribs are optional,just as extra weight.
This can be tied in size 6-10 in your favorite streamer hook. I just happened to use the Dai-Riki hook here.

These look very much like a Mohair Leech, or a DDH Leech. (Simi Seal is my main part of the dubbing) You can add a beadhead to these if you prefer. I like the eyes a bit better. Either way works. The DDH Leech was a heavy influence on this fly. This has a much more narrow profile, as you can see. Optional: wire rib, lead weight

Jimmie

Reaction score
That "Simi Seal" is the best, huh? What color is that marabou in pic #1. Good looking stuff. After an outing a few weeks ago I'm thinking of becoming a mostly streamer guy, specifically Simi Seal. Some J Fair short shuck too. Their are a bunch of great anglers using streamers only (mostly). Some on here.

kelkay

Reaction score
The marabou is from Feathercraft. It is Ed's Fancy Marabou Mottled Brown. I don't know if Simi Seal is the best, but I sure do like it. I am big on streamers. Most of what I tie are streamers.

mudbug

Reaction score
Nice looking flies. I am going to have to go get some simi-seal. Good looking stuff.

Get it straight from the source you won't find better pricing or quicker shipping anywhere on the web.

You can also get it in Mega (longer length) which I don't think anyone else carries. also check out his other materials like diamond hair and minnow hair, I believe you are a streamer guy so they might have some interest for you.

I also use both his az synthetic dubbing and sparkle dubbing.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Arizona Simi Seal is good stuff. It is angora goat mixed in with some flashy stuff. A fly tier named John Rohmer came up with it. Arizona Simi Seal can be gotten at most retailers that stock Metz products.

Edit: I forgot that John Rohmer sells directly.

kelkay

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I am going to have to check out that site. I don't have spare money now, but when I do, I will try out some of his other products. Sounds like he has some quality material. I will bookmark that site for later use, thanks again. Glad y'all liked the flies.

update: dang, I just looked at his website...he has some fantastic stuff there, and you are right...good prices...I shouldn't have seen that...lol

kelkay

Reaction score
He actually sells Simi Seal leeches. I thought I was the only one who was using it for leeches...lol. I had that material, and thought it would make a wonderful leech...and it has been my go to leech material ever since. I use Mohair Yarn too, but I really love the Simi Seal. I am so glad you posted that link. (but my I am itching to try out some of those other products though...lol)
:D

mudbug

Reaction score
He actually sells Simi Seal leeches. I thought I was the only one who was using it for leeches...lol. I had that material, and thought it would make a wonderful leech...and it has been my go to leech material ever since. I use Mohair Yarn too, but I really love the Simi Seal. I am so glad you posted that link. (but my I am itching to try out some of those other products though...lol)
:D

Yup, he's been making them for quite awhile. You can find a very old web article where he describes making them with a dubbing loop and a wire rib.

but now he makes them like this.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZN1249smis]YouTube - ‪Fly Tying-Simi Seal Leech-John Rohmer‬‏[/ame]

I have been trying it for all kinds of things like mini gurglers.

Last edited: