Zebulon River LW

kelkay

Reaction score

This is in the Zebulon series. It is meant for fast water conditions, as you notice the upright wing.

flat silver mylar tag
tail is white and black hackle fibers mixed
black and white ultra micro chenille
Edson brass eyes/cheeks
wing 4 black hackles
red hackle or schlappen for throat
black head

I used Flexament to make sure the chenille will not come loose. That and lead weight are optional of course.

---------- Post added at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

Frank, I am sorry I have two threads here. It must of happened when I edited my recipe. Please take the earlier version off.

kelkay

Reaction score
I think you are right. I have other versions of it, this is just one of them. I am waiting on getting that perfect Zebulon LS in order to post it. So far I have tried 4 times, and still haven't nailed it. When I do, I will post it. The LS is for lakes and streams etc...the wing is low, and it is tied on a streamer hook.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Kelly,

There is so much that is good about this tie. You really nailed that wing. Hard to tell it isn't just one feather. Did you make your own brass eyes/cheeks?

Frank

Last edited:

kelkay

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Frank, the eyes were made by Mark Vendon in NY. They are brass. He did a fantastic job on them. They are 3 bucks for a hundred. (that INCLUDES SHIPPING) I just ordered some more from him. If anyone is interested, he takes Pay Pal. Here is his email. Tell him Kelly L sent ya. :) I love these things because they add shine, and weight. Plus if you cannot afford Jungle Cock, it has that shape, and it is placed in the same area. So it is a win win as far as I am concerned.

MV12193@peoplepc.com

I used 4 feathers on that wing. It is not easy for me to get them on right. Sometimes they cooperate, sometimes they give me fits. But as I do it more, it hopefully will get easier. I am doing a series of these flies for different conditions.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Kelly,

The first thing I thought was Jungle Cock when I saw the brass eyes. Maybe a little black paint with the brass would help even more.

Frank

kelkay

Reaction score
yes, it has the shape of JC...if you want to add black paint, I see no reason not to...except it would take the shine off...I love these eyes