Killer Style flies using Black Franklin

kelkay

Reaction score
I have gotten on another kick tying Killer Style flies. I wanted to try some Black Francolin feathers out, and see what they looked like in this style.

Last edited:

madjoni

Reaction score
Looking flies like this makes me weep :( because we dont have salmon here and this flies looks so cool:cool:

kelkay

Reaction score
Thanks guys. You know, it is Black Francolin, not Black Franklin. I have some editing to do... :eek:

kelkay

Reaction score
Re: Killer Style flies using Black Francolin

Thanks. I edited the two photos, with the name of Francolin that I spelled wrong...:eek: .

Reactions: Ard

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: Killer Style flies using Black Francolin

The fly with the JC nail on top is a different kind of look Kelly, nice work on these.

Ard

kelkay

Reaction score
Thanks Ard, here is another one. I made this one a couple of days ago.

My favorite though, is Kelly's Killer by far.

Pocono

Reaction score
Kelly,

The Kelly's Killer and Mrs. Simpson double eye variation look like great flies to me; nice patterns and great ties.

I recall that Chris (ChrisinselwynNZ) posted on tying killer style patterns about a year and a half ago. I think that they look great and they definitely have a "fishy" shape to them.

Let us know what you catch on them.

Pocono

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Superb flies! Kelkay, I've been around several forums over the past few years that you've posted your work on, and I have to say that I've always admired & enjoyed seeing the flies that you've tied! Always Superb Tying! :thumbsup:

kelkay

Reaction score
Yes, Chris and I talked about the Killer flies back in January. I am glad you liked the flies. I probably won't fish the double eye Francolin Mrs. Simpson though. The Black Francolin skins aren't cheap, and they are pretty small. If you lose one fly, you've lost six feathers in on go round...lol. I don't mind fishing Kelly's Killer because then you only lose two of those feathers. The Killer flies take in a variety of fish, that is one reason I am particularly interested in them, plus, they are so cool to look at. :) The other feathers on the Francolin are more in quantity, and also not a problem with fishing them. The double eyes are special. Anyway, I am happy you liked some of the flies.

---------- Post added at 06:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 PM ----------

Superb flies! Kelkay, I've been around several forums over the past few years that you've posted your work on, and I have to say that I've always admired & enjoyed seeing the flies that you've tied! Always Superb Tying! :thumbsup:
Thank you, I am honored you like my flies. I do tie a wide variety of them... I just cannot seem to help myself. Thanks for letting me know your thoughts. Oh, I have been tying since Jan of 2008, not really a long time.
:D

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Yes, I'm aware of when you started! You've come a long way in a short time, and certainly have a talent for such a wide variety! Many tiers tie some types of flies well, others not so much, but everything you tie IMO is always exceptional!

Historically some of the world's best fly tiers have been women, and you're fitting right in! :worthy:

kelkay

Reaction score
Yes, I'm aware of when you started! You've come a long way in a short time, and certainly have a talent for such a wide variety! Many tiers tie some types of flies well, others not so much, but everything you tie IMO is always exceptional!

Historically some of the world's best fly tiers have been women, and you're fitting right in! :worthy:
Big Jim, your comments have blown me away. You are too kind. Thank you so much. :wow:

Pocono

Reaction score
Anyway, I am happy you liked some of the flies.
I like them all, Kelly; the K Killer and the double eyed Mrs. Simpson just caught my eye.

I understand what you say about using and, potentially loosing, expensive feathers on flies. ;)

Pocono

kelkay

Reaction score
:D Oh, okay. Thank you. Yes, those feathers are a bit pricey...but I got a very good deal on this skin. Still, I don't want to waste them.