Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ear plug poppers.

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Default Ear plug poppers.

I came up with an idea for cheap and easy poppers for Bass. They work for other stuff also, as the one pictured in the water was clipped off by a fairly nice Pike. First I take a foam ear plug. Next take a large sewing needle and without crushing or deforming the earplug to much, push it through the ear plug where you want the tube to go. Did I mention this is a tube fly? Next, take a plastic tubed cotton swab and cut the cotton ends off. Next, take a lighter and melt the end so it rolls a bit, not getting to crazy with that. Push the tube through the ear plug using the needle as a guide, cut and not melted end first from the flat face of the plug. Once the tube is all the way through, remove the needle. Before you seat the tube all the way, add a drop of super glue to the outside of the tube and then seat it. Cut the other end of the tube off with about 3/8" left. Heat the end with a lighter and get it to do the same roll. Place a small piece of clear rubber tube over the end of the cotton swab tube. At this point you can add legs and hackle, flash and whatever you feel needs to be on your popper. I tie mine in my regular vice with a short stiff piece of metal wire bent like a L on the end. If you put it in the vice and pull back on it seating the clear rubber tube hard against the jaws it stays in place really well. You can spray paint the ear plug how you want it, or just use Sharpie markers. These pop really well, they are soft and fish hold on to them really well. In fact I had a nice Smallmouth hit one and instead of setting the hook just tried not to let him feel he was dragging a line around. That fish swam a good distance before spitting it. If you don't get one it's only because they missed the fly completely. They do miss poppers sort of often, Pike even more so.

One in the water prior to being bitten off and floating away. If you fish from a boat they are all recoverable. They are in waders to if you are willing to swim for one. I wasn't.

Here is a Smallmouth that hit one. Notice how the fly has detached from the hook. I think it helps keep them from getting leverage on the hook and get off.

2. Likes bocast liked this post
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Ear plug poppers.

Darn good idea!

Nice fish but i cant hear a thing!!
    I don't always fly fish but when I do I prefer salt water. Stay salty my freinds

Blog Entries

I think I may be borrowing this technique, I have plenty of these hanging around!
    - A.J.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...

Blog Entries

innovative as ever!!
    nice job dan.

casey

ARFE

Blog Entries

Outstanding DanHow did this idea come to your mind?Thought you could catch fish on bare hooks

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Quote Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
    How did this idea come to your mind?
    I started getting short on poppers, they were working really well, Fish blasting a popper is really fun, I don't have a fly shop within 200 miles, and it looked they may work?
    Sometimes even I'm not sure how my mind works.

Ingenious! Thanks for sharing the idea Dan.
    JJ

Nice job Dan. I have been thinking about doing this for a while now. I work construction and let's just say I have a few ear plugs..

How well do they resist saturation? Just curious. But heck you can buy 100 ear plugs for 8 dollars or buy "popper" foam for about 8 poppers for $10. I know which way I'll be going.

Blog Entries

Dan: Very cool idea for making poppers! I was fishing a small pond with my grandson the other day, fishing for smallmouth bass. I didn't have any poppers, now I have a good idea on how to make some! Thanks!

Larry
    Larry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast