Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mallard and Peacock Nymph

Tied on a #12 2xl nymph hook
    Tan Thread
    Mallard tail (yellow died) - around 8 or 10 fibers - length of the hook and fold the butt end over for the nymph back
    Peacock Herl body
    Grizzly hackle (red used here)
    ultrawire (small) ribbing

Start your thread and tie in the tail, then fold the butt section back for later use - do not trim it off.

tie in your wire and hackle

tie in your herl (3 strands used here) leaving thread about 2 eye lengths from eye.

Wrap the herl forward and tie down, trim excess

Wrap the hackle forward and counter wrap the wire rib

Pull the mallard flank over the top and tie it down

Trim any hackle that angles up, leaving the hackle that goes to the sides or down

Whip finish and add a little head cement and your done.

if you do everything the same, but swap out the mallard flank for olive or burnt orange maribou, you basically have a Denny's stillwater nymph (Denny uses simi-seal for the body, and I use peacock herl but they are basically the same)

This (and Denny's) nymph is extremely effective for stillwaters when baetis or damsel nymphs are in the water. I fish this either on a sinking line or on a floating line generally down about 2 to 4 feet. When fishing, impart a little action to it, i.e. from your tube or boat, or shore, cast it out, let it sink a little and then bring it back in a couple 2 inch strips, followed by a couple second pause. I like to also fish it right at the edges of weed beds where they drop off to deeper water. I have caught fish (16 to 20 inchers) at Davis Lake on this fly when nobody else was catching anything. It also works well at frenchman's.

Have fun.

Dave
    Last edited by peregrines; 11-21-2011 at 03:17 PM.

Default Re: Mallard and Peacock Nymph

Bravo. Excellent tutorial, plus great looking fly. I like the idea of "baetis" for stillwater.

Thanks for the tutorial Dave, I always enjoy seeing the handiwork of our members.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

Nice step by step instructions. Great looking fly.

---------- Post added at 01:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

If you use the marabou instead of the mallard flank for the nymph back, does it naturally create that look as shown in the photo? Do you have to do anything special to get that look for the nymph back, i.e., will the marabou lay down as shown in the photo. Thanks
    Last edited by auntrout; 11-13-2011 at 10:06 PM.

Excellent SBS and really nice nymph. Thanks for sharing this!
    JJ

Thanks everyone, used this one today, along with some weighted "czech" scud looking patterns I have been playing with, landed 7 in 2 hours, one was over 20 inches, broke off two, had to rerig twice. Had a dozen other quick hits that I didn't get hooked solid, but, hey, for float tubing two hours in 40 degree weather it was a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by auntrout View Post
    will the marabou lay down as shown in the photo
    Yep, just pull it over the top and it lays down just like shown.

d

Real nice job Dave!
    Mark

Blog Entries

Dave: Thanks for the tutorial, that looks like a killler pattern, I'll have to tie some up.

Larry
    Larry

Thanks Mark and Larry, they do work well, I have giving many of these away at the lake, and I evengave some to my competitive fishing buddy, and taught him how to tie em.

Of course I didnt give him any at the lake until after an hour of reeling em in, and he did have to ask nicely and say "please master of the yellow mallard fly can I please have one of your killer creations" just kidding, I didn't make him beg.....or did I, I can't remember now I am getting so old

Have fun on the water!

d

That is a nice looking fly, and a great story. I can hardly wait till I am tying up some killers and having my brother beggin for one. hahahhaha

Jimbo
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach a man to fly fish and he'll probably go C&R, so you'll still need to feed him.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast