JP's flies step by step...for beginners.

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
JP's flies step by step...for beginners.Part 2

Mark thought it would be great to post some step by step tyings for beginners .I will post one every fortnight.Questions and remarks are welcome.
All these patterns are simple to tie , made to fish not to be exposed in shop windows and have been used for many years on many different waters and fish.
1 jpb Olive
2 Chub Special
3 Ugly Green
4 Batistou Special
5 After Jan's
materials needed:rooster hackle,thread,synthetic fibers,little piece of plastic tube from a ballpen.Sorry some pics are not...great:eek:

First take some hackle fibers from a big feather to make the tail.

fix the hackle near the eye .

Use some synthetic fibers to make the wings ,hold the hackle to make the head.

Turn the hackle about one third of the hook,block it.

Bring the thread near the tail and put the little piece of plastic tube.

Finish the body.

Cut the thread ,put a drop of superglue and spread it on the body(nicer and stronger)It's over!

You can use the same technique to tie different patterns ....just choose the colors of thread,hackle and wings you want...;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ard

Pocono

Reaction score
Nice SBS J-P!

I can tell you all from personal experience that J-P's dry flies float very well in the water and, more importantly, they definitely catch fish!

Pocono

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
AJ I usually tie this one on 14 hooks,but I've also got some 16 and 18 in my boxes.;)Not a bad attempt on your first one;)
Ard,Allan and Dan...Thanks for your encouragements;)

Last edited:

peregrines

Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator
Reaction score
Looks good gator!

JP a question for you-- it looks like you tied these off behind the hackle and wing? Or do you wiggle the thread through the hackle and tie off at the head?

Either way is fine with me, they look great and are a great match for our many species of "blue wing olives", one or more of which is hatching at some point during the whole season in various sizes from 14-22, and the same steps with different colors can be used to match a lot of mayflies.

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
AJ try to use hackle fibers for the tail...;)
Mark I tie off behind the hackle and wing...a"key knot" to block the thread then a drop of superglue;)...think you've already asked this question:D

Pocono

Reaction score
Got my polyprop yarn this afternoon, so will have a go at the JPB Olive pattern, and maybe some variants, tomorrow. :)

I've fished this pattern with J-P; it floats well and definitely brings in the fish; including fish that are much "pickier" than Trout; like Dace!

Pocono

Pocono

Reaction score
Here are a few of the JPB Olives that I tied up today; all on a Daiichi 1190 barbless hook; #14.

The 1190 is new hook for Daiichi and I really like it! I think I'll be tying all of my dries on this hook going forward.

I ended up liking an olive body with medium pardo CDL tail, a cream polyprop wing and a cree hackle. Unfortunately, the abdomen on the fly in the pic has a "tumor" midway down, but I don't think that it will turn off the fish; at least I hope it won't..............

I sort of walked all over the ground with this pattern, from hackle madness (upper left) to tyer sadness (lower right).

This is a great pattern! :)

I've fished it with J-P and it definitely gets the fish to rise and take. The fly is also practically unsinkable. I've found myself reaching for the Gink or the powdered desiccant several times with standard patterns like a para Adams. When I look upstream or downstream at J-P, he's still casting and his dry is still floating! :rolleyes:

Don't miss out on tying up this pattern. It's a great one to have in your fly box.

Pocono

fire instructor

Reaction score
I start my first tying class in January. After looking at these, and some of the other postings, I'm getting pretty excited about it. My new vice arrived the other day, and my wife thought that I was crazy, because I put a shop-bought fly into the vice, just to "see what it looked like"! :D

BTW - I went for the Anvil Atlas, after reading a bunch of postings, reviews, etc. Thank you to all those who made suggestions and provided me with info!

jpbfly

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nice flies Allan:thumbsup: these hooks look very much like the fulling mill
don't worry for the tumor....I know a good surgeon:D
Here's a variation with two different hackles (brown and grey dun) and light brown wings...may remember it...it's a pic of yours;)
Rick ...looking forward to seeing your first flies.

gatortransplant

Reaction score
Allan, if yours has a tumor, mine is downright bloated. I need to pick up that style of hook you're using, I like the extended shank in particular. I'll need to try this tie again when I get the chance, and work on limiting my threadwraps, but also using the hackle tail, it looks more buggy than the z-lon.

Pocono

Reaction score
AJ, another thing that the hackle fiber tail will help with is keeping the fly sitting high and dry on the water.

I don't think that a Z-lon tail has enough tensile strength to act as the back support for the fly in the water. If you land your dry properly, it's resting on the surface with just the tail and the bottom of the hackle supporting it; hook facing down. That's why you need a tail that's stiff enough to support the back end of the fly.

I use a Matarelli whip finisher to tie off my flies. With J-P's method of tying off behind the hackle, I don't have one that's long enough to tie off directly behind the hackle; which is where I want to tie it off. I also don't have one of J-P's "pen tubes", so I can't keep the hackle pulled forward while I'm finishing off the body and tying off the thread; that's the real problem! And that's the reason for the abdominal "tumor".

J-P, send in that surgeon!

As I said, these dry fly patterns of J-P's work really well on the water, float high and stay dry!

Pocono

Last edited: