Gartside's Soft Hackle Streamer Variants

chefben4

Reaction score
Nursing a St. Pattys day hangover I was only able to kick out a couple flies today before throwing in the towel :wavetowel

I am trying to figure out what pattern I want to tie for the saltwater streamer swap, just haven't found it yet. In any case, enjoy.

Tequila Sunrise-Self named, Gartside variant w/hackle tails

Gartside Backcountry Variant

Smaller Soft Hackle and a bit "buggier"

Any questions, comments, are welcome as always!

Reactions: Ard

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Chef,

These style ties always intrigue me, I've tied a lot of flies but never anything like these. What do you use them for, I'm speaking species wise?

Ard

chefben4

Reaction score
Chef,

These style ties always intrigue me, I've tied a lot of flies but never anything like these. What do you use them for, I'm speaking species wise?

Ard
You may be surprised at the multitude of species I can catch we these guys. I live in MI and fish them up here for Largemouth/Smallmouth, Pike, hell even trout once in a while. In the salt, they work great for just about anything with an appetite. When wet they really slim down and form a nice profile. Can be a pain to tie, but once you get used to palmering the soft hackles they go pretty quick.

chefben4

Reaction score
May I ask the purpose of these hooks?
Absolutely! This is taken from an article I read online. Just one of many I have came across. To be honest these are my first flies on the jig hook (found them at a fly fishing show, and said what the hell!) so I am not sure how they will work out. In any case, here ya go..

"“You never gill-hook a fish as you could with a ‘J’ hook, which makes it ideal for catch-and-release fishing. Eighty percent or more of fish caught on a jig hook are hooked in the top or corner of the mouth. Also, a 60-degree jig hook will get you a much better hook set due to the lever action of the bend. As you continue to pressure a hooked fish, the angle created by the shape and the pulling of the jig hook continues to stick it farther into the fish’s mouth. In short, you can lose less fish on jig hooks. In addition the 60degree bend makes the fly ride hook point up without the use of added weight, making it weedless."

Again.. I cant say all the above is true until I try them out and I will write up a little tid bit! I just read enough to be dangerous! :eek:

gatortransplant

Reaction score
While talking to Mike Schmidt from Angler's Choice Flies at the Detroit expo, he was also extolling the virtues of 60-degree jig hooks.

Nice ties, Ben! I especially like the tequila sunrise, though the chartreuse and white one would be murder for snook around docklights at night, methinks.

chefben4

Reaction score
While talking to Mike Schmidt from Angler's Choice Flies at the Detroit expo, he was also extolling the virtues of 60-degree jig hooks.

Nice ties, Ben! I especially like the tequila sunrise, though the chartreuse and white one would be murder for snook around docklights at night, methinks.
Thanks AJ! I keep hearing about more and more ties with 60 degree jig hooks so I wanted to jump on the band wagon before it was cool :icon_mrgr

The small white one was tied specifically for snook in the dock lights, so good call! Im going to tie some up with pearl/white laser dub so its an all white fly.

Joni

Reaction score
Absolutely! This is taken from an article I read online. Just one of many I have came across. To be honest these are my first flies on the jig hook (found them at a fly fishing show, and said what the hell!) so I am not sure how they will work out. In any case, here ya go..

"“You never gill-hook a fish as you could with a ‘J’ hook, which makes it ideal for catch-and-release fishing. Eighty percent or more of fish caught on a jig hook are hooked in the top or corner of the mouth. Also, a 60-degree jig hook will get you a much better hook set due to the lever action of the bend. As you continue to pressure a hooked fish, the angle created by the shape and the pulling of the jig hook continues to stick it farther into the fish’s mouth. In short, you can lose less fish on jig hooks. In addition the 60degree bend makes the fly ride hook point up without the use of added weight, making it weedless."

Again.. I cant say all the above is true until I try them out and I will write up a little tid bit! I just read enough to be dangerous! :eek:

Interesting. Thanks. Look forward to your report on this.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
These style ties always intrigue me, I've tied a lot of flies but never anything like these. What do you use them for, I'm speaking species wise? Ard
Ard, we use the Gartside sofhackles here in the salt for stripers but I wouldn't hesitate to try them on any fish that eats bait.
They have a very realistic shape and action in the water.
Here's a link to Jack's page on them
Tying the Soft Hackle Streamer
He had quite a few of his own variations you can find on the same site

Joni

Reaction score
Chef,

Ard

Ard, I use them for Leech patterns AND baitfish with an added underbody.
Here is a dry and a wet, you can see the leech all the way (also add Purple marabou like above with black)

If you tie an underbody (I like the polar chenille) when wet it thickens the body nicely

I have been using the Marabou soft hackle with Zonker for several years:

kelkay

Reaction score
I particularly like the top, and bottom fly. I have made a few of these too, and they are a great pattern to have in your box. (Gartside Soft Hackle)