Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Damselfly-take 1

Default Damselfly-take 1

Lakes and streams are teeming with these around here.

Inspired by Tob1's thread
    Damsel fly

I put these together.
    Criticism welcomed.

"I knew a tier once. One time he was holding a lump of cat hair he found on his couch, sort of twirling it about his fingers, tugging at it. I asked, what in the hell are you doing man? He looked startled, ashamed. But I knew what he was thinking. right then and there I decided to just buy my fly's thankyouverymuch." ~ cwg

Default Re: Damselfly-take 1

This is a Tremendous Fly Boreal.....And if I were going to bet a great Fish catcher
    In our family, there is no clear line between religion and fly fishing" Norman Maclean

Nice Damsel; I particularly like the wing effect that you achieved and the sparseness of the legs looks just right to me.

I agree with FlySlinger, that pattern will catch fish! Go give it a try and let us know what you get.

FYI - chasing Tob1 is apt to turn to out be a lifelong pursuit!

Pocono

Beautiful looking fly. I think that a parachute version would be very effective also.

Great looking nymph. We also have damsels up the wazoo, but I've never caught a fish on a damsel dry, in fact I've never seen a fish take an adult damsel. BUT, they go crazy after the nymphs. Here's one I love to fish with. No eyes, but I'm going to talk Joni into tying some with eyes. Any thoughs on blind damsel nymphs or ones with eyes.
    Life is not like a bowl of cherries. It's more like a jar of ghost peppers. What you eat today might burn your ass tomorrow...

Boreal, very nice looking fly; the Smallies will love it. Eyes or no eyes on Damsel nymphs? I like eyes on the nymphs I tye; but they seem to keep working even if the eyes get broken off.

Dan

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mojo View Post
    Great looking nymph. We also have damsels up the wazoo, but I've never caught a fish on a damsel dry, in fact I've never seen a fish take an adult damsel. BUT, they go crazy after the nymphs. Here's one I love to fish with. No eyes, but I'm going to talk Joni into tying some with eyes. Any thoughs on blind damsel nymphs or ones with eyes.
    Boreal: Great looking flies! I have to agree with Mojo, I have never caught a fish on a damsel dry. I also have never seen a damsel dry taken by a trout, but it might be possible. I really like fishing damsel nymphs!

Larry

8. Default Re: Damselfly-take 1

Larry, I would totally agree with you and Mojo except ONCE at band camp........seriously, I was guiding at the lodge. Went out one evening to fish one of the lakes and the trout were exiting the water a foot to catch one of the little blue helicopters.
    That has been the only time I have seen this.

Trout...dunno.
    I mostly fish basses.

I tried a different wing after I did 1/2 a dozen of these. I used a flat back ribbon that looks more realistic (to me, from the top).

They throw like junk and sink like a rock.

The deer hair winged ones took me 4 decent smallies and dozen or so rock bass outta Huron Dan's namesake though.

I'll usually add eyes more for my sake and aesthetics than any magical fish catching properties.

I fish 99% dry.
    I have zero experience fishing nymphs or sink tip or even with a bobber thingy.
    That may change but I'm happy to fish my game even if it means fewer fish thus far.
    "I knew a tier once. One time he was holding a lump of cat hair he found on his couch, sort of twirling it about his fingers, tugging at it. I asked, what in the hell are you doing man? He looked startled, ashamed. But I knew what he was thinking. right then and there I decided to just buy my fly's thankyouverymuch." ~ cwg