Doc Spratley variations

wt bash

Reaction score
Thanks man. Its too hot here to do anything else. The Cuyahoga is the lowest I've ever seen it so smallies are out and I'm still waiting on my cane so I figure I'll burn up some hooks and fill up the boxes. I like these old and out of the way patterns, they're fun to look up and to tie.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Bill,

Pay a visit to your local Public Libraries web site and see if they have either; Streamer Fly Tying and Fishing or Streamers & Bucktails The Big Fish Flies by Joesph Bates. His old books are full of off the grid patterns and their histories. I have them and every few years am looking to make some stuff I've never tied and fished.

wt bash

Reaction score
I tried the local, no luck so I looked them up online WHOA!!! Not Cheap! I'm gonna check out the auction site and see what pops up and check out some other used book joints but till I find something here's some eye candy, its all streamers, wets, and some knows salmon flies. Its a nice mix of familiar patterns and some of the wall stuff.

Untitled Document

theboz

Reaction score

All on Mustad 3665A #6
This must be Doc Spratley day! I've never heard of him before today and now I hear about him twice! Stopped at my favorite fly shop today and there's a guy sitting with the owner with a paper with a recipe on it. Rob sits down at the bench and proceeds to whip up this Doc Spratley streamer for the customer. I go home and just happen to see this thread and sure enough it's Doc Spratley again.
Maybe there's a subliminal message in this somewhere. Haha!

wt bash

Reaction score
I've yet to send the streamer for a swim but tied on a smaller wet fly hook its just about deadly when the caddis are about. The streamer size looks like it could be a bunch of different edibles, naturally I have high hopes!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I tried the local, no luck so I looked them up online WHOA!!! Not Cheap!
I hear that! I bought a used original print of the Streamers & Bucktails book in 1996 at a used book seller in Avis PA. and she charged me $80 with a strait face. The Streamer tying & Fishing is available in reprint editions and can be had at a bargain comparatively speaking.

L

Liphookedau

wt bash.
I hadn't heard of The Dr Spratley Fly for years,I have some Flies I put away which I never used & couldn't remember what they were.
They are very similiar to The Orange one in your picture which jogged my memory,they are definately Dr Spratley's..

Ard, back in the late 70s early 80s I paid $110 for a Classic English Book on Entomology & Flytying,as the story goes from my records as I found The Reciept,from my list of Flytying & Fishing Books I lent it in 1986 to a guy who I used to Fish with whom I haven't seen in about 10 or more years.
I suppose,as The saying goes,(Possession is 9/10ths of The Law).
Brian

wt bash

Reaction score
Its a neat old fly from Washington and was nammed for the guy who startled the tier into breaking his thread. It amazes me the cost of a good book these days, on the auction site I found a few but they looked to be a bit beat up. Oh well the search continues.